Author Topic: 8 notes per Hole  (Read 6791 times)

jazmaan

8 notes per Hole
« on: April 12, 2015, 11:24:41 AM »
Now that we have available "twin" harmonica systems that allow, at least theoretically, 4 different blow plus 4 different draw notes per hole,  I've been trying to wrap my head around some of the possibilities.   

Starting with the simplest most compact layout,  you could theoretically have C,C#,D,Eb blow  E,F,F#G draw all on hole #1.   But I suspect that the slots on a standard chromatic reedplate would quickly balk at such a compressed layout.

Any other innovative ideas for an 8 notes per hole harmonica?

Offline kvanbael

• Chrome-Minator
    • SoundCloud
Re: 8 notes per Hole
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 11:41:18 AM »
If you add enough buttons, you can blow 32 notes through one hole... Wait that's a different instrument?

http://us.playhohner.com/instruments/music-education/melodica/fire-melodica/

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Offline SlimHeilpern

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
    • Slide Man Slim
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 12:31:12 PM »
Yeah, boggles the mind just thinking about it. Perhaps I'm over-thinking, but here's what it comes down to for me, regardless of which tuning would give me the most flexibility:

Positives:
- more fingering choices without limiting range (and all the new riffs that would lead to)

Negatives:
- more brain power required to navigate those choices intelligently
- potentially more difficult to close-mic (with even response)
- bigger hands required for a decent cup
- potentially doubles your maintenance time

Having said that, I love the idea and would like to experiment with one, but I'm in no rush to do so (too much other stuff going on in my life right now).

- Slim.
http://www.slidemanslim.com
slim@slidemanslim.com

pmelissakis

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 01:45:37 PM »
- Requiring more brain power puts it out of my use.  >:(    :)

Jp

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 03:09:26 PM »
Doesn't seem practical to try to get those 8 notes per hole, given the added complication of working the second slide. if it were easier to choose between the slides quickly, that might be different. You could have a harp that plays, for example C, C#, D, Eb in hole one, then G, Ab, A and Bb in hole two, etc. The second harp would play E, F, F, F# in hole one, then A, Bb, B, C in hole two, etc. That might quickly get weird as you go up the holes, with reed sizes not fitting right.

Jp

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 03:16:20 PM »
I think it's mentioned in another thread, but so far my favorite idea is Gary Lehman's, of having one harp be a compact chord harp. Having those chords to vamp in would be sweet. The speed of switching harps is still an issue I think, and the brainpower bit really comes into play (and I don't like the sound of chord harps geberally, but)... sounds exciting. My really real favorite idea is the extreme bending chromatic but... different discussion. ;)

jazmaan

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 08:26:41 PM »
I'm not really sure how easy or difficult it is to switch slides.   I thought Brendan implied it was fairly easy.   I may have to wait until SPAH to find out for myself.

Offline SlimHeilpern

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
    • Slide Man Slim
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »
I'm not really sure how easy or difficult it is to switch slides.   I thought Brendan implied it was fairly easy.   I may have to wait until SPAH to find out for myself.

I think that's right (that it's pretty easy) based on the photos as well as Brendan's comments on the subject a while back.

As for SPAH, I seem to recall Brendan has a conflict this year and won't be attending, but we can hope he arranges for a surrogate to demo the harps...

- Slim.

http://www.slidemanslim.com
slim@slidemanslim.com

jazmaan

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 09:47:33 PM »
Isn't he still working with Zombor Kovacs?   Hopefully Zombor will attend.

Offline Winslow Yerxa

• Chrome-Meister
    • Winslow Yerxa
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 02:52:24 PM »
We'll have at least one of Brendan's Twin Harps for show & tell (and possible auction) at the Harmonica Collective teaching event in Indianapolis at the end of this month: http://harmonicacollective.com

Hilvert_Scheper

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 04:05:44 PM »
I have to wonder why...........
Suzuki made the SSCH-56 based on the 14-hole Sirius, why not on the SCT-128.......
The SCT-128 Already has 8 reeds per hole, so...
They could have made a 3-note Chord with 6 reeds, 4-note chords with 8 reeds. That would have been a much more Serious competitor to the existing 48-chords...

Yes I know... The SCT-128 has a Tapered Body / Comb, which means that categorically, the Highest chords have to be to the Right hand side, unless they make a Straight comb and Still make the SCT-128 into a Chord harmonica.
And then there is such a thing as The Price... The SSCH-56 is Expensive enough as it is, so Based on the SCT-128, it would be around the Same price as the New Hohner "Chord 48". So that's the competition Out of the window where Price is concerned.

Still, I quite like the idea...

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 12:26:24 AM »
I seem to recall Brendan has a conflict this year and won't be attending,
Partly true--he has commitments, but plans to be there early on--actually, his quote to me a week ago was, "I hope to be in Denver for the early week, but am booked at the Milwaukee Irish Fest for the weekend."

Offline John Broecker

• (procastanetter)
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Vintage 2K? Swan 1456 & JB
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 08:33:47 AM »
Hello, Octo-nauts.

For 8 notes per hole, try a Suzuki SCH-128.

Gnarly, which weekend will Brendan be in Milwaukee
at Irish Fest? Will it be during the SPAH Convention
in August, 2015?

I'd really like to hear him play, live. I live in the
Milwaukee area.

Best Regards

John Broecker
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:37:11 AM by John Broecker »
Bob Uecker, Catcher, Announcer, USA Baseball: "The best way to catch a knuckleball is to wait for it to stop rolling on the ground, then pick it up."

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 09:12:18 AM »
Yes John it would have to be the weekend of SPAH.

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 01:32:12 AM »
I still have not made an investment in a Twin Harmonica--
But on the original topic, a twin of the Power Chromatic would give you 8 notes per hole, if you had two instruments a major third apart.
So say, one in C, another in E.
Sounds good to me!
See chart.
So there would be 8 chords, 16 if you count the minors--
F, F#, G, Ab, A, Bb, B, and C.
They are all major six chords, so they are also capable of being perceived of as:
Dm7,Ebm7, Em7, Fm7, F#m7, Gm7, G#m7, and Am7.
If Brendan could make it a triple slide, you could have all the chords--no diminished or augmented, of course . . . or sus chords . . .
And each hole would have an octave of chromatic scale.

And then I woke up.
And my wallet was gone!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:39:41 AM by Gnarly He Man »

jazmaan

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 12:40:56 PM »
Well I'm taking the plunge!  I should have a VERY special harmonica to demonstrate at SPAH 2016!   "To boldly go where no man has gone before!"   That's what I do!

oldstudent

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 12:39:48 AM »
This sounds like a good reason to attend SPAH this year!

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 01:09:11 AM »
Indeed! David has made great strides using this tuning--the proof is when no one notices that he's using it!
We will see if the Twin Harmonica version changes that--my feeling is that it won't, because he will still be playing music, and it will sound like music.
But let's face it, no one knows yet just what will happen--disruption of the space-time continuum, anyone?

jazmaan

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 05:39:01 PM »
Just to get a a preview,  I strapped  two Seydel D and C Fourkey Chromatics together with rubber bands and played some tunes.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to switch between them without even thinking about it. Starting a phrase on one harp and finishing it on the other was also quite intuitive. And with all the enharmonics it allows me to start most phrases almost wherever I want - blow or draw, slide in or slide out.   I should nickname it the "Freedom" harp!   

Of course I couldn't preview the new trills that will be available, but I'm already digging it!

oldstudent

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 09:08:48 AM »
Your design is closely related to Gary's new instrument.
As you go through the various combinations of upper/lower harp, blow/draw, and slide in/out, a pair of C and D fourkey chromatics would give you F, E, G, F#, and G# pentatonic scales.  Similarly, Gary's pentabender chromatic in C gives him F,G, F#, and G# pentatonic scales.