Author Topic: 2017 SPAH in Tulsa, OK  (Read 6770 times)

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
Re: 2017 SPAH in Tulsa, OK
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 04:21:40 AM »

Nothing to admire Doug. Lost a son and a mother in the same week, Found a kitten on the way back from son's burial. An omen? Anyway
Elmo lasted 21 years. Almost as long as the son. My family traces back 1ooo years. And I am the last. So, I guess I'm a pragmatist. You plays with the hand that is dealt to ya.

sm0joe

21 years? Wow, you should have named him Methuselah!
That was a nice long life, but my JenniPurr outdid Elmo. She lived to 23. Outlived several of her kittens we'd also brought in (all born in my backyard). One would think it'd
be easier --knowing they'd had a long and happy life? - Nope...you get so much more attached after all that time together and it makes it even more difficult.  My now 17yr
old Kimba adored Jenni and groomed and cuddled with her for years, which I believe helped keep her healthier and happier.

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((ยบ>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 10:34:25 AM »
Sorry to hear that Scotty :'(  (for your cat AND missing SPAH)  Hard to imagine missing a fun time just to stay home and have a terrible time. That's just sad. :(

My pets are all "semi-pets." They're all chipmunks, field mice, ground hogs and raccoons and they live out in the yard, except for one little rebel chipmunk what moved into my garage and is very destructive little bugger. (he's probably on the endangered species list BTW)

Offline smojoe

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • virgo
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 02:36:27 PM »

Well, I certainly didn't mean to give the impression that giving my kitty 'Tha needle' was something that was easy. It was Christmas and we were coming back from the cemetery, having just buried our son. I saw what looked like a beret alongside the road. But it was moving. A kitten about a week old. Eyes still closed.
I bought it cat milk and fed it with a baby doll's toy bottle. While I was digging the footer for the game room I added to the house, she would cling to my shoulders. I would come home from work and she would run to me. If I was around, she was right there. She was a babbler, and would talk to me. When her insides failed, I had to make a decision. She was just shy of 22. And since she was my only kitty, I was devastated. :(
sm0joe

Now back to our previous program..in progress.   

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2017, 12:16:45 AM »
Oooh, I got this one!
I am bringing my dog to SPAH.
There, see how I did that?
PS Sorry you have to cancel your plans for this year Scotty, I know this yearly get together is important to you. But there is always next year--until there isn't . . .

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2017, 08:31:27 PM »
Oooh, I got this one!
I am bringing my dog to SPAH.
There, see how I did that?
PS Sorry you have to cancel your plans for this year Scotty, I know this yearly get together is important to you. But there is always next year--until there isn't . . .
Am glad you get to bring Pierre. Wish I could bring a sick cat along, but then --all I'd be doing is spending my time taking care of her, so there's that.

Here's the thing: I just got through watching a 43 minute video filmed by KTUL-Channel 8 in Tulsa of the damage done by the Tornado which whipped through
the area last night/early this morning. Raw footage. It wiped out so many stores and eateries...but I'm not at all sure where they are in relation to the SPAH Hotel.
Hope they aren't the ones everyone was counting on? I'm trying to find a map to check but no luck so far.

They showed a demolished Panera (one of my personal favourites); a TGI Fridays with the roof ripped off, Chipotle likewise, a Top That Pizza place also heavily
damaged. A High School Academy very badly damaged. 26 people taken to the hospital so far- so I think they got lucky in that respect.

It seemed to be centered (although it continued for miles) over '41' whatever road that is? The photographer posted the video live to Facebook and it can likely be
found on KTUL's site if anyone is interested in watching it. All electrical power to the area is out --and the roads are closed for now. The police told them it could be
closed down 'for a week' or even longer. That would go right through SPAH week, So please all, check it out and be careful: there are glass and nails everywhere.
This IS tornado season in Oklahoma, btw. Perhaps I'm not supposed to be there this year for good reason?

Wishing all of you the best for a great SPAH --but please be extra careful. According to the one deputy who spoke to the photographer, there were no tornado sirens
to warn anyone. He and his wife awoke to the typical 'freight train sound' and his entire house rattling and shaking. Very frightening. :(

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2017, 10:16:43 PM »
Bah!
No tornado is gonna stop this Okie from celebrating with whoever's left--
Sorry you can't make it Scotty, I think this is going to be a great one . . .
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:20:20 PM by Gnarly He Man »

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2017, 03:12:51 AM »
Bah!
No tornado is gonna stop this Okie from celebrating with whoever's left--
Sorry you can't make it Scotty, I think this is going to be a great one . . .

Oh, I'm quite sure it'll be a great SPAH, they ALL are, as I'm likewise sure everyone in attendance will have a wonderful time. I wasn't remotely
implying that it wouldn't be another terrific SPAH, especially with all the hard work put in by many of the same people year after year - who go
mostly unsung...and this year they'll have a new club's members involved which should be extra good. I'm only sorry I'm going to miss it all. My
concern was for those who might not be able to move quickly enough to get out of harm's way--like me, in the event of another tornado. I have
orthopedic issues which are flaring lately. In any emergency I'd be left to the whims of Mother Nature, ergo my reason for mentioning that 'perhaps
I'm not supposed to be there this year'.

Sorry if that didn't come across adequately.   :-\

Elizabeth (scotty)
PS: was able to do a google search and looked all around the streets surrounding the Hotel. Don't see the street or stores I saw badly damaged
in the video, so all is likely ok. It's kind of a fun thing to do: type in the Hotel's address and then zoom into the street view and 'walk' up and down
the surrounding streets to see what's there. You get the hang of it after a while and can even see the Sushi restaurant a couple of blocks over, among
some other fun places.

Offline Filip Jers

• Chrome-Tributor
  • Hello and Welcome. Check my music on myspace !
    • http://www.myspace.com/filipjers
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2017, 04:15:30 AM »
I will not attend this year - wish you all the best and an amazing SPAH!
Probably I will come another year... :-)

Best regards,
Filip Jers

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2017, 01:41:33 PM »
We will miss you too, Filip!
Oklahoma is Tornado Alley, just have to play it as it lays . . .  It's not really tornado season, but I do expect rain and thunderstorms every day-- perfect weather for staying indoors and playing harmonica.
We had to hide in the basement in Denver, why should OK be any different?

Offline SlimHeilpern

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
    • Slide Man Slim
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2017, 02:40:13 PM »
Oklahoma is Tornado Alley, just have to play it as it lays . . .  It's not really tornado season, but I do expect rain and thunderstorms every day-- perfect weather for staying indoors and playing harmonica.
We had to hide in the basement in Denver, why should OK be any different?

Yes, but in Tulsa we also have to worry about earthquakes from all the fracking.

http://www.drillingmaps.com/oklahoma.html#.WYtV8fF9OSc

At least in Denver there was legal pot to help lower the stress ;-).

(Just kidding on all counts folks, chances of a disaster during this one week are tiny).

Looking forward to seeing many of you there!

- Slim.
http://www.slidemanslim.com
slim@slidemanslim.com

dougharps

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2017, 03:34:59 PM »
I think the disaster risk is supposed to occur (per scandal sheet "news") a few days after the total eclipse of the sun, after the gravitational forces of the sun and moon will align and pass over or near the Yellowstone Caldera and New Madrid Fault destabilizing equilibrium and triggering eruptions and earthquakes.

I plan to return after SPAH and await calamity!

:)

Doug S.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:59:16 PM by dougharps »

Le Chef

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2017, 03:50:41 PM »
I live in a beautiful suburban semi-rural home with a big yard.   My "pets" are all wild squirrels, birds or semi-feral cats that live outdoors and do fine without my occassional help, or members of the plant kingdom.    That leaves me pretty much free to come and go as I please.

Yeah, my pet is a green lizard that hangs out in my blackberry vines.  I call her Lizzy, and I can almost reach out and pet her on the head, she's so trusting. Or maybe blind.

rebel harper

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2017, 05:56:21 PM »
I've been to most of the SPAH conventions since 1997 and living in Toronto, I have not there experienced some of the extreme storms that occurred near various convention sites in the US over the years. I was amazed by how quickly the Denver hotel staff evacuated the entire hotel into the basement. First time for me. This year I had to cancel my hotel reservations in Tulsa (I'll be missing this year) and now I understand why the Hotel staff asked me if it was because of the weather (which it was not)!

Manfred

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2017, 08:20:02 AM »
I've been to most of the SPAH conventions since 1997 and living in Toronto, I have not there experienced some of the extreme storms that occurred near various convention sites in the US over the years. I was amazed by how quickly the Denver hotel staff evacuated the entire hotel into the basement. First time for me. This year I had to cancel my hotel reservations in Tulsa (I'll be missing this year) and now I understand why the Hotel staff asked me if it was because of the weather (which it was not)!

Manfred

I missed the most recent Denver SPAH so had no idea there was an evacuation - even into the basement? Don't remember reading any mention of it. Glad no one was
hurt!

I suspect the Tulsa Hotel definitely had this:

.... in mind when they asked you if it was weather related, Manfred --either to allay your fears because it took place far enough away from the Hotel
or for an inhouse compilation of reasons. We must have cancelled just immediately prior to the tornado so weren't asked why. This isn't the original
footage I saw and posted about earlier, but it still shows the immense structural damage to local stores and windows blown out on their biggest
building, and how much of a surprise it was to the people there since even the police officers who lived in the affected area heard no tornado sirens.

At least now it looks as though most of the damage occurred far enough away from where SPAH's taking place so it likely won't impact any attendees.

Elizabeth (scotty)

jazmaan

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2017, 05:11:05 PM »
On Tuesday, I'm actually flying into Fayetteville, AR where my son Dexter lives.  (Oddly enough, there were no non-stop flights from LAX to Tulsa, but there ARE nonstops to Fayettevile?)  Together we will drive Weds morning from Fayetteville to Tulsa (a less than two hour drive.)  I hope we're not picked up in a tornado during the drive and whisked off to OZ!    I've been telling Dexter that if we make it to Tulsa without incident,  when we arrive he should be very popular, as he is a great guitar player and will be available for hallway jams on Weds afternoon and evening.  He'll head back to Fayetteville on Thurs.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 05:13:42 PM by jazmaan »

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2017, 09:50:44 PM »
On Tuesday, I'm actually flying into Fayetteville, AR where my son Dexter lives.  (Oddly enough, there were no non-stop flights from LAX to Tulsa, but there ARE nonstops to Fayettevile?)  Together we will drive Weds morning from Fayetteville to Tulsa (a less than two hour drive.)  I hope we're not picked up in a tornado during the drive and whisked off to OZ!    I've been telling Dexter that if we make it to Tulsa without incident,  when we arrive he should be very popular, as he is a great guitar player and will be available for hallway jams on Weds afternoon and evening.  He'll head back to Fayetteville on Thurs.

Likewise --zero direct flights from NY to Tulsa! I still find that astonishing - that the 'international' airports don't have direct flights there. We were originally planning
(and had booked our flights) to stop at my friend's home in Houston for a few days first, then onto Tulsa from there - tomorrow, in fact. Sigh. SO sad I'll be missing it,
but couldn't be helped. My own illness played into it as well.

Equally sorry I'm going to miss meeting your son and his guitar playing! It should be very cool for you too, to have your own personal guitarist/accompanist! Have a
wonderful time, David.  Have someone record this - and both of you! :)

Elizabeth (scotty)

jazmaan

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2017, 01:35:12 AM »
The reason Fayetteville gets non-stop flights is because it is the headquarters of Walmart.  When Walmart execs want non-stop, they get nonstops!

Fayetteville is a lovely town by the way.  Rated one of the best places to live in the USA.   Again, all that Walmart money means the infrastructure is very well kept up..  The town is picturesque, green as can be and surprisingly hip and liberal.  Bernie bumperstickers everywhere.   

Tulsa, on the other hand, is drab, boring urban  and rundown.  The hotel is nice enough though and the food here is good, with some other good restaraunts within walking distance.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:39:33 AM by jazmaan »

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2017, 02:06:44 AM »
The reason Fayetteville gets non-stop flights is because it is the headquarters of Walmart.  When Walmart execs want non-stop, they get nonstops!

Fayetteville is a lovely town by the way.  Rated one of the best places to live in the USA.   Again, all that Walmart money means the infrastructure is very well kept up..  The town is picturesque, green as can be and surprisingly hip and liberal.  Bernie bumperstickers everywhere.   

Tulsa, on the other hand, is drab, boring urban  and rundown.  The hotel is nice enough though and the food here is good, with some other good restaraunts within walking distance.

Videos! Photos! Music! :) :) :)

Actually, I've seen quite a few photos so far --mostly posted on Facebook by Buzz Krantz. Jason (our lovely friend Jason Ricci with some pink hair added this year)
onstage accepting the BERNIE BRAY AWARD for 2017!! How cool is that?

And of course Greg Heumann took a couple of photos of his vendors' table (and  of his stunning mics).
Saw Michael Rubin in what looked like the lobby, Buzz and Jason posing together being silly.

Cute. but I still want VIDEOS, MUSIC and more PHOTOS please!
pretty please? hahaha

Elizabeth (scotty)
PS: I'd really like to hear your son play!