Author Topic: Buckeye 2018  (Read 11398 times)

Offline Danny G

• Happiness is a New Harmonica
  • THE PARTY GUY
  • MonsterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
Buckeye 2018
« on: January 09, 2018, 04:23:30 PM »
Here's the latest
Modified on February 23, 2018
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:31:22 PM by Danny G »

Offline Edward Brock

• MasterMeister
Re: Buckeye 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 07:35:54 PM »
Thank you sir

BigDaddyT

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:49:48 AM »
My mom and I have already reserved our room and plan to be there. Who else is coming?

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 11:04:14 PM »
Here's the latest
I would love to go --just brought it up as a 'suggestion' and someone's already whining. :(

YET if there was a car show in Columbus at the same time you could be assured there'd be NO problem in making the drive!

Elizabeth (scotty)
Bah, humbug.

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 08:56:26 PM »
For me, it's about 175 miles to the north side of Columbus, so I always make the Buckeye, if nothin else, the Saturday show.

BigDaddyT

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 06:40:59 AM »
Cool! I guess I'll see you there. Since you've been to past events, what can us newbies expect?

Offline Danny G

• THE PARTY GUY
  • MonsterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 09:21:32 AM »
Cool! I guess I'll see you there. Since you've been to past events, what can us newbies expect?

Buckeye has always been like a smaller version of SPAH. Seminars, Vendors, Open Mic, evening entertainment and a great Saturday night dinner show.
You can expect that you will be amazed, impressed, inspired and you'll make allot of new friends.

BigDaddyT

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 06:36:33 PM »
Sounds great. Do they let newbies with less than a year of experience play at the open mic? I'm getting to the point I can actually toot a few tunes on the thing:)

Offline Danny G

• THE PARTY GUY
  • MonsterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 06:41:51 PM »
Open mic is Open to everyone. You just put your name on the list and wait your turn.

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 08:35:10 PM »
Open mikes are cool. For the nervous, no worries, there's zero pressure. No one judges or throws cabbage or nothin. There are no critics., Everyone just wants to help everyone have a good time, and it's one of the best times you'll ever have. Really!

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 11:58:36 AM »
Sounds great. Do they let newbies with less than a year of experience play at the open mic? I'm getting to the point I can actually toot a few tunes on the thing:)

At conventions like SPAH and now the re-emergence of Buckeye (which used to be held every year), Virginia and the now defunct Garden State, there is NO SUCH THING as 'letting newbies' as if they're somehow 'lesser than' anyone else. Like Danny says: anyone who's interested can put their name down but I'd make sure you're there earlier than your scheduled time to play in case someone else doesn't show up (that's happened to me). I've heard people play who really can't play at all--yet up they go, lol. It takes guts to get up there--something I still have a difficult time doing, but I've forced myself a few times. :) I think the average is 2-3 songs max(?) to give everyone a shot.

The only designated performances are already set --the seminars, afternoon and nighttime performances -and they're listed on the schedules. Of course no one wants someone with a tin ear blasting over someone else - especially if those playing are a couple of the great performers who're off practicing in a corner, or trying out a chromatic in the vendors' area --then it's simply polite to listen and applaud - but give them their space, there is a certain 'etiquette'. It's also polite to ask others if you can join in, especially if it's a very small group.  In an open play-along you'll usually be more than welcomed...you'll see...spontaneous play-alongs spring up all the time with everyone digging out their harmonicas to participate.  If you notice someone sitting alone holding a harmonica --or another instrument --they might be hoping to be asked to play. Go for it! Don't worry, all these concerns will be gone by the end of the first day. Above all, enjoy!

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline Danny G

• THE PARTY GUY
  • MonsterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 01:50:29 PM »
I forgot to mention that there are late night after the show jams that sometimes turn out to be even better than the shows

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 02:48:28 PM »
I forgot to mention that there are late night after the show jams that sometimes turn out to be even better than the shows

To me, the jams are worth the price of admission alone! :)

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline Edward Brock

• MasterMeister
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 06:20:35 PM »
If a person goes & does not have a good time it's their own fault.  :)

BigDaddyT

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 06:48:16 PM »
It sounds like a blast. I'm looking forward to it!

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 07:04:26 PM »

Here's an oldie but goodie:
click and enjoy!
http://www.SlideMeister.org/lobby-jazz-jam.html

Offline Danny G

• THE PARTY GUY
  • MonsterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 01:02:38 PM »
I know that Madcat will be one of the performers at Buckeye
I'll let you know when more info is available

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 01:36:32 PM »
One of my favorite diatonic players 8)
(and really I don't have many ::))

Offline Danny G

• THE PARTY GUY
  • MonsterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 01:41:23 PM »
Besides being one of my favorite harmonica players Pete's one of my favorite people

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 12:51:43 AM »
Besides being one of my favorite harmonica players Pete's one of my favorite people

Mine too! I think he was the first (besides Jason) of the 'famous' people I met at my very first SPah. I sat at his 'Filisko teach-in table' and
didn't move for a couple of hours --he was so amazingly funny and entertaining. None of us wanted him to really teach us anything right
then--we only wanted him to tell his stories and to play for us, which he did. :)

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline Lockjaw Larry

• Lockjaw Larry ♪♪ Breathing Music daily ♬
  • V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2018, 07:36:24 PM »
Peter honored us in Huntington Harmonicollege a few years ago.  Nice fellow, fun guy too.
Be fair, be square and obey the rules of the pack.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 08:01:59 PM »
Peter honored us in Huntington Harmonicollege a few years ago.  Nice fellow, fun guy too.

Larry! - Ohio's an even closer drive to you than it is for me from Long Island, no? Hint, hint!

I hope Paul is interested too? We had a blast jamming together, albeit for such a brief time. We 'click' musically
and in so many other ways.
If I can get over this cough in the next week or so, it now looks like I might be able to get there after all. :)

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline Danny G

• THE PARTY GUY
  • MonsterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 09:20:18 PM »
Hey Larry, are you guys going to make it to Harmonicollege this year ?

Offline Lockjaw Larry

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 10:10:47 PM »
Danny, we're paid up already.  Only my boss, or a lousey doctor, can keep us away.  Looking forward to hanging with several friends again.

Offline Lockjaw Larry

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 10:16:21 PM »
Scotty, I hope you and Paul do get to Huntington.  It's a blast.  Really laid back and fun.  The hosts serve a lot of great food and are sooooo much fun to spend time with.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 11:49:28 PM »
Scotty, I hope you and Paul do get to Huntington.  It's a blast.  Really laid back and fun.  The hosts serve a lot of great food and are sooooo much fun to spend time with.

oops, got our signals crossed. :) I was talking about Buckeye (where I used to go a LOT before it closed down). I'm pushing my luck even trying to get
there --SPah is already 'more than enough' for hubby. That he's even considering driving to Buckeye is a 'big deal'.

I was hoping you might also get to Buckeye? Didn't you ever go - or was it GSHC?  I thought I remembered meeting you other than in Va.? ;)

Elizabeth (scotty)

BigDaddyT

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 09:05:33 AM »
Is that the same guy that makes custom microphones?

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 01:25:37 PM »
Is that the same guy that makes custom microphones?
I'm unsure if he actually made it --or it was made to his specs, but it was definitely named for him. That's really all I know about it --it was the
small mike held between the fingers on one hand as you played so it would pick up the sound clearly.

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline Lockjaw Larry

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 09:37:52 PM »
Scotty, I hope to make it to Huntington and Buckeye.  I have been to Huntington a few times but this is my first at Buckeye.  Looking forward to both, then Danny G's in July. 

I think we met in Williamsburg Virginia Harmonicafest in 2011 and 2012. You and Sandy had some good talks.  There were soooo many great people there, and every year since.

Too bad there is no Virginia Harmonicafest this year.  TOM said they don't want to compete with Buckeye.  We always had a great time there and hope they find a way and nonconflicting time in future years.

I just got an email from Michael Rubin enumerating his planned lessons.  He has a good itinerary  and is looking forward to the Huntington Harmonicollege weekend.  I look forward to finally meeting him.  He's a great teacher.

And so today wanes leaving another birthday in my past.  Geessshhhh, I'm getting a lot of experience with these birthday celebrations. 

Lockjaw Larry
 Breathing Music through my XB-40 today

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2018, 04:26:39 AM »
Scotty, I hope to make it to Huntington and Buckeye.  I have been to Huntington a few times but this is my first at Buckeye.  Looking forward to both, then Danny G's in July. 

I think we met in Williamsburg Virginia Harmonicafest in 2011 and 2012. You and Sandy had some good talks.  There were soooo many great people there, and every year since.

Too bad there is no Virginia Harmonicafest this year.  TOM said they don't want to compete with Buckeye.  We always had a great time there and hope they find a way and nonconflicting time in future years.

I just got an email from Michael Rubin enumerating his planned lessons.  He has a good itinerary  and is looking forward to the Huntington Harmonicollege weekend.  I look forward to finally meeting him.  He's a great teacher.

And so today wanes leaving another birthday in my past.  Geessshhhh, I'm getting a lot of experience with these birthday celebrations. 

Lockjaw Larry
 Breathing Music through my XB-40 today
Aww! I missed your birthday! So sorry--I tend to forget to look at the celebrations list often enough --was so busy these last few days. Mea culpa, but HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! Yes, I do remember meeting Sandy at Virginia and thoroughly enjoying our time together --but somehow thought you'd also gotten to one of the other Festivals? The memory banks must be getting full--they're beginning to get a wee bit faulty now, lol. ;) Too many birthdays
flying by here as well!  ;D

I had no idea Virginia wasn't also on the schedule. That means I should try to convince Paul to come to Buckeye...I know he enjoys Virginia and Danny's summer party a lot, so maybe he'll be willing to make the trek?

I know Michael quite well. Have a couple of his CD's. We've met at many Spahs and maybe even Buckeyes way back when - but I'm unsure if he was one of those who also went to Buckeye --there was a lot of crossover of so many people from Spah to Buckeye I get them confused, lol. Michael is a very good teacher. :)

Sounds like fun! - I'm assuming Sandy will be with you at Buckeye? I'll look forward to seeing her then (since we're getting closer to making a final
decision--assuming I'm almost over this 'flu' or whatever it is, so can make reservations).

Elizabeth (scotty)