Author Topic: Buckeye 2018  (Read 11400 times)

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
Re: Buckeye 2018
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2018, 04:14:45 PM »
Looks like you guys are going to have a blast!  I’ll be here crying and pouting next one I am there! :(

Angelo: if you think HAS is addictive, just wait until you attend your first harmonica convention.  ::) After my first Buckeye
I HAD to go to my first Spah 4 months later (with many of the same people in attendance), then the following Spring and Summer and the next and the next, and added other Conventions on (GSHC and Virginia)....and each one except GSHC I had to fly out from New York to attend, some while nursing a frozen shoulder among all else that's wrong with me.

When I finally had to miss my first Spah I fretted the entire time and felt SO out of the loop. Just miserable.
I've adapted a bit better since then, now that I've actually missed maybe 4 of them all told and don't recognize many of the 'new' attendees. Heck, they don't know me either, but that's fine....I can disappear into the crowd.   Works for me!

So keep your wallet full in the meantime --there'll be plenty of time to get hooked on Spah and Buckeye.  ;D

Elizabeth (scotty)

BugNV

« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2018, 10:26:16 PM »
Do you know if it is possible for someone not attending the festival to come listen to one particular group that will be playing? My aunt lives in Columbus and would like to come on Saturday to hear our group play in the afternoon.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2018, 11:36:49 PM »
Do you know if it is possible for someone not attending the festival to come listen to one particular group that will be playing? My aunt lives in Columbus and would like to come on Saturday to hear our group play in the afternoon.

I honestly don't know. I paid full freight for the entire thing for my husband who's singularly UN interested in harmonica - but is driving me there and won't participate in anything other than the Saturday night banquet! But just in case he has to come find me in any of the rooms, I decided it was worth it to pay for him to have his ID 'badge' so he could feel free to go anywhere. I know for past Conventions they've had Matinees where the public was invited, but that's mostly been at Spah. There might be something similar at Buckeye, but you'd have to contact one of the people listed (look at the page Danny posted --I think Ray Dailey is the one to write to or call? Explain that you're part of it and ask if such arrangements are at all possible? Usually one has to be a paid-up attendee (and badges are checked at the doors), but perhaps you can get her a half-day pass? 

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline The Lone Harper

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
  • New Chromatic Player
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2018, 10:13:00 AM »
Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere:

"Hi ho, Silver Concerto! Away!"

Offline Gene D

• Graduated
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2018, 12:32:37 PM »
I enjoyed that.  I am no longer able to attend these events and so enjoyed watching the video.
Gene D

Offline Edward Brock

• MasterMeister
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2018, 02:17:06 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiqxdoBDTxE

Thanks for that one.  I can't travel much at all so this was wonderful.
I have to chuckle a little at all the white hair. My wife said it looked
like a kid-free zone.  Us old farts must carry the torch.

Abedolla

« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2018, 02:29:57 PM »
Awesome  video. That’s traveling in style

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2018, 04:40:36 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiqxdoBDTxE

Thanks for that one.  I can't travel much at all so this was wonderful.
I have to chuckle a little at all the white hair. My wife said it looked
like a kid-free zone.  Us old farts must carry the torch.

There were a 'few' of the 'middlin'-to younger' set in attendance, with a real youngster - our own AJ Windmeyer playing onstage Saturday Night, for example. He's just a teenager! They played 'Peg', btw - to much acclaim. :)  But yeah, you will see a lot of white and grey haired people there --their hair seems to stand out the most on film for some reason. Spah's a bit different with a vastly different audience (and players) --people from all ages, genres, countries and genders.  I love it.

One thing about harmonica playing--it seems to keep people playing for far longer than most occupations or hobbies, so the ages do tend to creep up there for attendees. Stan Harper was still playing into his 90's, as was Toots, and a lot of those people you saw are in the 80+ range. I guess huffing and puffing really does keep the lungs healthy?  ;D

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2018, 10:04:13 AM »
I enjoyed that.  I am no longer able to attend these events and so enjoyed watching the video.
Gene D
I did too, Gene --and I'm sorry you can no longer be there, but the thing you missed the most in this video (and I hope
someone else caught on film) was Chris' performance to close out the show. He really was wonderful (best I've heard
him yet) and inviting Peter up to play with him was brilliant--the two of them were terrific together. Even a 5-minute clip
of Chris' playing would have been a perfect ending to this entire very well done 'slice of life' at Buckeye, since he wasn't
only an attendee, but the headliner.

The trio he mentions were fabulous too: I spoke to the keyboard player (Bobby Floyd) and when I commended him on
his playing he mentioned that he'd be thrilled to come to Spah 'anywhere' if they'd pay his way (there'd been some talk
about this being the first time they'd played for harmonica players--and finding the experience delightful). An absolutely wonderful jazz keyboard player with real chops - I'd NO idea at the time that he played with the Basie Band!

Elizabeth (scotty)

Offline The Lone Harper

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
  • New Chromatic Player
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2018, 04:33:54 AM »
"Hi ho, Silver Concerto! Away!"