Author Topic: 'Spectacular Harmonicas"  (Read 1431 times)

jazmaan

'Spectacular Harmonicas"
« on: March 13, 2018, 01:00:51 AM »
There are at least two Reel-to-Reel collectors on SlideMeister, me and Bluesbop!   Jason, I'm on the fence on this one, but its tempting.   I won't feel bad if you want to jump in and take it.  I'm wondering if anyone here knows anything about it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECTACULAR-HARMONICAS-1960-M-G-M-STEREO-7-1-2-ips-SEALED-REEL-TO-REEL-TAPE/192479309685?hash=item2cd0a92f75:g:qx8AAOSwKJtapMua

jazmaan

Offline carlrosetti

• Chrome-Tributor
Re: 'Spectacular Harmonicas"
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 07:13:31 AM »
Got both recordings!!!   Fantastic!!!    Spectacular Harmonicas was an off shoot of a recording called "Harmonica Holiday" done by Richard Hayman and Eddie Manson with 7 other famous harmonica players; e.g. Alan Pogson;Charlie Leighton;Cham-Ber Huang and several others.   "Fiesta" by the 'Cats is them at one of their finest, especially Espana Cani!    Can't get any better playing then these two!!!

Offline The Lone Harper

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
  • New Chromatic Player
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:33:42 AM »
Got both recordings!!!   Fantastic!!!    Spectacular Harmonicas was an off shoot of a recording called "Harmonica Holiday" done by Richard Hayman and Eddie Manson with 7 other famous harmonica players; e.g. Alan Pogson;Charlie Leighton;Cham-Ber Huang and several others.   "Fiesta" by the 'Cats is them at one of their finest, especially Espana Cani!    Can't get any better playing then these two!!!

The problem I have with the 'Harmonica Holiday' album is that Hayman included accordions to give a 'fuller' sound. While I appreciate his reasoning, the similarity in sound between the accordion and harmonica means that apart from the solos you can't be sure exactly which instruments you're hearing. 
"Hi ho, Silver Concerto! Away!"

Offline jasonic

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Minator
    • Bluesbop.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 11:55:22 AM »
All yours, jazzmaan! I’ll stick with Miles...😜😁
Don't think-just play! ;-)

jazmaan

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 09:07:28 PM »
Hey Jason,  I can't thank you enough for that Mel Torme reel-to-reel tape,  it remains one of my favorites.   Collecting reel-to-reels is fun because there's so much easy listening dreck on reel-to-reel,  Andre Kostalanetz, Mantovani, etc.,  but every once in a while there's a gem like that Torme.    The trick is to find a gem that the seller doesn't recognize.   Miles Davis tapes are always priced sky high.