Author Topic: Does anyone own a Hammond melodica  (Read 1648 times)

Maynard

Does anyone own a Hammond melodica
« on: April 29, 2019, 08:30:52 PM »
Hey people's.  Does anyone own one of these. They look awesome.

Offline Grizzly

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
Re: Does anyone own a Hammond melodica
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 12:42:41 AM »
I think Scotty owns one.

Tom
working on my second 10,000!

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 03:30:27 AM »
yup - and it is. I can't play it right now since mine's the 44 key model and is heavy (for me) as heck so I usually wear it cross-body with a guitar strap I bought. it has the connections for a strap. it also has built-in electronics so when plugged into an amp (something I admit I don't do often) it sounds different and awesome.

when I first got it a few years ago, it came in with the 2nd highest c sounding a bit 'off' to my ears. I happened to be going to a garden state festival soon after so brought it along (we could drive there). played it around a couple of times while avoiding that key.  happened to be playing along with danny g the next morning in fact, when George Miklas (who was working at his vendor's table) heard me complaining about the offkey note, said he'd be interested in taking a look at it, then after realizing it was an entirely different type of melodica than the simpler models, wasn't sure if he should--none of us had a clue how the wired for sound part worked - the electronics made it trickier. with my permission (I wasn't about to mail it back to japan), George opened it up with much trepidation while I videorecorded him - and not only retuned that one C, but ended up having to basically retune the entire instrument (possibly 'dis-tuned' in shipping?) and by virtue of the video I made of him, and the discoveries he made inside and his ability to tune and fix it, became the only North American person referred by Suzuki to work on the Hammond (Suzuki) melodica. I think they refer to it as a melodeon in their literature, though. it sounded fantastic when he got through with it.

I tend to play it with the longer tube while it either sits on a flat surface or as I've mentioned earlier. I simply couldn't (even then) hold it up the way jon batiste plays his (on the Stephen Colbert show). he plays unplugged though. there are a few videos out showing its plugged in abilities. most of what you have to learn is how to time your keyboard playing with your puffing of air. FUN instrument. :)

scotty

Maynard

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 09:05:15 AM »
Yep they look pretty cool. How would you compare to sound to ur normal" cheap " melodicas" . I recently bought one . I was enjoying playing it . But I gave it to my niece. Now i have no melodian 🙃 I think I'll get another cheap one whilst I'm saving for a Hammond. 

Maynard

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 09:06:57 AM »
Yeah it's kinda weird having no inhale notes.  Kinda like singing w a harmonica sounding keyboard . Yep dolphinetly fun instrument.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 10:51:47 AM »
yeah--getting used to the 'no inhale' was the toughest part for me --and then forgetting to provide air while hitting the keys (since I normally play keyboards) was an issue at first. it takes a wee bit of finesse at first - but it doesn't take long to get used to it --if you keep it up. I haven't played mine in a while, since my shoulder surgery. I love its sound...think it's far superior to the old-style melodicas which sound more like toys to my ears. your mileage may vary of course. but again, if you play it unplugged it'll sound kind of similar --depending on the model since it does come in various sizes. mine is the bigger size. i'll try to find the videos I watched before ordering mine...will post them here for you. :)

scotty

Maynard

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 06:34:13 PM »
I was looking at the same size as urs.  And there's to types.  The hyper . Which has a steel back w holes.  Or the wooden finish one which is a  bit quieter  I suppose

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 11:07:26 PM »
maynard: back when I first became interested in the Hammond (at a spah where they only had the smaller size on display), I did some research online. found this guy's playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=jcUxNQaSQrs

and fell in love with the sound. tried to get info as to whether or not he was playing the regular 44 or the higher-end one (with the perforations). from the little I could garner (a couple of those comments are mine on the youtube), he's playing the regular one plugged into an amp...I decided on the regular 44. after all it was a difference of between $200 -$300 at the time - for some extra perfs!?

Mine is a woodgrain 'look' not wood. it also has the volume knob, also has phosphor bronze reeds, also plugs into an amp, comes with all the accessories the more expensive model does  and also has 4 sets of 16 hole slits running along the back to project sound. I could find very little to encourage me to buy the vastly more expensive model since the basic 44 was already 'up there' in price (over $400) at the time.  :)

scotty

Maynard

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 07:41:47 PM »
Yeah i just like the idea of a well built melodican. The hyper looks super cool w the steel perforated back .Which is said to make it louder. I like how it looks . Reports online say it has a different sound than the regular one . Yeah it's probably just cleaver marketing to get more money outa suckers like me . Yep I bought a cx12 jazz . I'm a sucker for that kinda thing. Only thing that concerns me is if the hyper sounds harsher the  regular one.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 10:30:31 PM »
Yeah i just like the idea of a well built melodican. The hyper looks super cool w the steel perforated back .Which is said to make it louder. I like how it looks . Reports online say it has a different sound than the regular one . Yeah it's probably just cleaver marketing to get more money outa suckers like me . Yep I bought a cx12 jazz . I'm a sucker for that kinda thing. Only thing that concerns me is if the hyper sounds harsher the  regular one.

well, the first jazz player (in the video above) has 'that' sound i'm looking for and he's playing the regular 44, so that's good enough for me. I wouldn't want it brassier or brighter, even though I do like to play classic rock - smooth jazz and ballads are probably my most often played tunes.

George Miklas could probably give you more info about whether or not there's a difference in sound, weight or whatever. you do realize neither you nor the audience really sees the underside of the instrument while you're playing it?  ;D 
i'm not knocking the perforations --but don't know if there are any other changes as well. if there are, they would have to be pretty major to justify the difference in costs for me. it's already high end, BUT I did see a video where someone described the HP as being in the $400+ range. If that's new, then it'd be a steal imho. you're the one who has to be happy, bottom line. check out a few other videos--even people playing them acoustically--which would likely tell you if there's a difference in tone.

fwiw, I wanted a Suzuki black bodied model 44, and only realized after i'd left spah that they didn't yet make one. Hammond (their sister company) was the only one with the 44 keys but it came with the shiny wood-grain look. I've gotten used to it and do like it now. shiny black shows far too much dust (especially in my house with cats and a white furry dog), so it's just as well I got the one I did. it's held up well but you do have to make sure to use the 'drain' flap to ensure moisture gets out (just like a chromatic...you're blowing your moist air into it and since this one has reeds it can cause problems if you don't keep it clean and drain the moisture. it's not the old-style melodicas.

scotty

Maynard

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 09:07:00 AM »
Ok Scotty u talked me around . I think I'll get the model u got .
Now I just gotta find the cash. Just to keep the wolves at bay I bought a 37 key kongsheng.  For 27$. Anyways I figure if I can't enjoy myself on a cheap one I don't deserve the classy model .

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 12:34:30 PM »
I wasn't really trying to 'talk you into' not getting the perfed model....rather just wanting you to look into (videos of) both to ensure there's more to it than just the perforations - or that the sound is far beyond the one you can get from the regular 44 key model. both have the built-in electronics, so i'm unsure just how much the HP warrants the extra cost? BUT if the higher-end one can be bought today for around the same price I paid for mine ($400+) then you might be better off with the perfed one after all? A bargain is a bargain IS a bargain, lol. ;)

scotty

Maynard

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 04:55:37 PM »
Ohh man now I want the hyper . Yeah thanks Scotty.  I think i have  now seen every video on the internet
 Yep and I can't tell the difference between some dude playing a cheap melodian. The hyper or the pro. At the end of the day I think melodians r just like harmonicas.  It all comes down  to whos playing it . And most the time only the player can tell the difference. Anyways for now I'm enjoying my made in China special.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 04:31:00 AM »
Ohh man now I want the hyper . Yeah thanks Scotty.  I think i have  now seen every video on the internet
 Yep and I can't tell the difference between some dude playing a cheap melodian. The hyper or the pro. At the end of the day I think melodians r just like harmonicas.  It all comes down  to whos playing it . And most the time only the player can tell the difference. Anyways for now I'm enjoying my made in China special.

basically, I think it's 'whatever floats your boat', as long as you're getting the best deal possible--or the best 'for you' and will make you happy. :)

I'm pretty sure you're in Australia? Do you by chance get the Stephen Colbert show there? (An American late night talk show on CBS?) Probably not, but IF you do, or if you can find any episodes on Youtube, his musical director (a young guy, Jon Batiste) plays a melodeon - looks like mine...acoustically, using the small endpiece - 'trumpet' style. He's tall so it doesn't look 'as' big in his hands (he also plays fantastic piano). His has a 'signature sound' I'm not actually all that fond of --think I'd probably enjoy it better if he plugged in, but it's how they open the show every weeknight.

Enjoy your new Kongsheng. Btw, How do  you like it?

scotty

Offline Edward Brock

• MasterMeister
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 06:17:17 PM »
Jon Batiste is a very talented man for sure.
He calls his a Harmoniboard.
You can find & listen to him on YouTube.

Maynard

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 07:40:05 PM »
Yeah I've seen him . Yep I like the kongsheng.  It's good