Author Topic: Scales and Modes  (Read 488 times)

Offline Paulc

• Chrome-Tributor
Scales and Modes
« on: July 14, 2020, 10:50:09 AM »
Hi, a while ago I bought a tutorial book, The Hal Leonard Complete Harmonica Method by Bobby Joe Holman, for chromatic harmonica. This, however, mainly focuses on scales and modes, e.g. C Major Pentatonic , C Locrian Mode, D Mixolydian Mode etc.

He has created melodies using these scales and modes and included the full scales as well. It also comes with audio.

My question is, how important are these to a player that is able to play quite a lot of melodies of various genres, either by reading musical score or by ear or tab?

They are interesting to play and to practice use of slide but is there any other purpose?

Thanks for any comments.
One day I’ll be able to bend a note 😀

Offline John Broecker

• (procastanetter)
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Vintage 2K? Swan 1456 & JB
Re: Scales and Modes
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 11:24:41 AM »
Hello, Paulc.

An Opinion:

The more you practice scales, modes and arpeggios,
the better you will play tunes, songs, and improvisations.

In fact, the more you practice anything, the better you
will perform, with expanded confidence.

Best Regards

John Broecker
Bob Uecker, Catcher, Announcer, USA Baseball: "The best way to catch a knuckleball is to wait for it to stop rolling on the ground, then pick it up."

Offline Paulc

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 11:39:35 AM »
You are surely right John. I just wondered if it was more useful for those likely to write their own music.

Anyway, I was using it quite s bit today and using the audio to play along to which was fun. Like I used to do with guitar.
One day I’ll be able to bend a note 😀

Offline SlimHeilpern

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
    • Slide Man Slim
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 12:16:48 PM »
Scales and their modes are important for all western music and are a good thing to practice. But be sure to balance that out with other types of practice, such as playing along with whatever type of music you wish to be able to play (or play better), ear training (I recommend listening to your favorite music and trying to copy it by ear), rhythmic accuracy (playing both simple and rhythmically difficult things along with a metronome), and developing (if you don't already have it) a good understanding of music theory. I think all these things are equally important and can keep you busy for a lifetime :-).

Also: record your playing, listen back, critique yourself, and repeat...

- Slim
http://www.slidemanslim.com
slim@slidemanslim.com