Author Topic: A woman and her passion for music  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Ed McCullough

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
A woman and her passion for music
« on: August 20, 2020, 01:50:39 AM »
I went to ye olde Youtube.com and simply typed “chromatic harmonica tango” and the following came up.

which was interesting, because Nostalgias occurs at an important point in a movie about a young woman and the tango music she plays on her bandoneon.
Here is the instance in which Marina plays Nostalgias in the movie.

You might want to see the complete move. I believe this is a true story and that Marina plays the part of herself in the movie.
Marina, as many of us, strove to improve, unsure of how to repair or replace her instrument. She wanted to play with and learn from experienced players. In the meantime, she earned nickel and dime money by busking on city buses, and waitressing.
You might find the movie gentle and moving at a softly thinking pace. I hope that some of you will enjoy this movie. El Ultimo Bandoneon. Will you tell me how you liked the movie?

A bandoneon is an instrument used in tango music.
Interesting note in the movie: Extremely few new bandonians were being made, yet wealthy foreign collectors were buying up some of the better older instruments and taking them out of Argentina. It's a sad situation for the average person in Argentina who wants to play bandonions.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 04:31:40 AM by Ed McCullough »

Offline Ed McCullough

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
Re: A woman and her passion for music
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 07:14:18 PM »
Did anybody watch the movie I linked to? Did anyone like it?

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 08:50:46 PM »
Link?  I didn't see any link, Ed. I googled "Mental transportation to another world" and came up blank. :P

Offline Ed McCullough

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 09:03:27 PM »
A,

I see pictures that are a type of thumbnail for Youtube videos. When I click on the pictures, the Youtube video starts. It seems obvious to me that you'd click on the picture to start the video. What does it look like to you? Can you start the videos by clicking on the pictures?

Can you suggest a way for me to put a link to the videos into the reply boxes in SlideMeister?

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 09:24:19 PM »
Lemme take a look

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 10:58:46 PM »

Offline streetlegal

• MasterMeister
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 04:53:07 AM »
While we are in tango mood - I thought I'd add this clip here - one of my favourites from youtube 8).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRXkk3NvEtA&list=RDYYz6GOZVH4M&index=21

Offline Ed McCullough

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 09:49:03 PM »
Andrea is one heck of a precise technician as she plays the guitar. It's easy to see why the guitar maker as this video representing their company.

Did you watch any of the movie El Ultimo Bandoneon, The Last Bandonion? How did you feel about it?

Offline streetlegal

• MasterMeister
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 04:03:05 AM »
I intend to watch it some time this weekend Ed - I don't know anything about the Bandoneon instrument, so it will be an education for me 8).

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 12:09:00 PM »
While we are in tango mood - I thought I'd add this clip here - one of my favourites from youtube 8).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRXkk3NvEtA&list=RDYYz6GOZVH4M&index=21

Wow! That's what I like to see and hear; PASSION!
I love this! :)

Offline Paulc

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 01:13:25 PM »
I was in Argentina a few years ago and went to a concert which featured bandoleons. They are very like our concertinas. I have my grandfather’s Wheatstone concertina which has 56 notes and plays the same note whether squeezing or pulling out which makes it easier to learn than some Concertinas which can be more like harmonicas, different note when drawn or blown.

I do want to be able to play my concertina well but at 65 my fingers aren’t so nimble ☹️

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1384/4833/products/IMG_7873_grande.jpg?v=1547248191
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 01:17:18 PM by Paulc »
One day I’ll be able to bend a note 😀

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 02:25:35 PM »

Give some of us a chance, Ed. Not everyone has a block of time to sit and watch a Movie. I just got onto SlideMeister after a couple
of days of extremely busy 'stuff' involving my new rescue dog. Will try to watch it later tonight (unless I pass out again as I did last night!) He's an exhausting boy with more energy than me. It does look interesting, though - and I will 'try' to get to it.

scotty

Offline streetlegal

• MasterMeister
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 05:42:04 AM »
I was in Argentina a few years ago and went to a concert which featured bandoleons. They are very like our concertinas. I have my grandfather’s Wheatstone concertina which has 56 notes and plays the same note whether squeezing or pulling out which makes it easier to learn than some Concertinas which can be more like harmonicas, different note when drawn or blown.

I do want to be able to play my concertina well but at 65 my fingers aren’t so nimble ☹️

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1384/4833/products/IMG_7873_grande.jpg?v=1547248191

That is a beautiful old Wheatstone English concertina you have there Paul 8). I have a modern Hohner English concertina, but not in the same league as your fine instrument. The English system (duplicate blow/draw) let's you play many nice chords.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 03:55:42 PM »

Ed: I just finally had a chance to watch it in its entirety and liked it very much, although I'm one of those to whom the bandoneon doesn't 'speak'  (as far as its sound). That's ok, the documentary was still fascinating - and Marina is a really interesting person - as is her teacher and some of the others. I had all kinds of reactions to the attitudes and ideas - better left unexpressed since they'd probably violate forum rules.

still, very enjoyable.

scotty
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 12:39:31 PM by Scotty »

Offline streetlegal

• MasterMeister
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 08:24:36 AM »
Watched The Last Bandoneon at the weekend and I enjoyed it. It was kind of like a drama documentary - there was a bit of tension as we wondered if Marina was ever going to get the bandoneon she wanted. Also I liked the scene with the grumpy tuner.  But all came right in the end 8).