Author Topic: Harmonicollege 2020  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Danny G

• Happiness is a New Harmonica
  • THE PARTY GUY
  • MonsterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
Harmonicollege 2020
« on: September 07, 2020, 09:06:34 PM »
It was delayed in April because of the virus, cancelled in August because Heritage Farm Museum & Village basically shut down for the rest of the year and now, unless there are too many people who already signed up cancel, we're going to host it here October 2nd and 3rd.

Here's a letter from Jim Rumbaugh, shoot Jim and email if you have any questions   jrumbaug@live.marshall.edu

By request of the alumni, this is the 3rd and final plan for the NEW North Ohio HarmoniCollege Oct 2nd & 3rd 2020 program

Danny G and Harmonica Bruce have generously offered their facility to be the Noth Ohio Extension of HarmoniCollege for this year. The location is 21746 N Benton West Rd North Benton, OH 44449, located between Pittsburgh, PA, Akron, and Cleveland, OH.  This is the same location where the Ohio State Harmonica Championship took place this year.

Our instructor will be Charlie Barath from the Pittsburgh, PA area. Classes will be Saturday from 9 am to 5 pm  Friday and Saturday night jam.sessions will be around an open campfire from 7 to 11. .Saturday classes will be held outdoors, weather permitting, or in Harmonica Bruce’s new 4000 square foot barn where we can spread out. This will give us good ventilation.  Masks will be encouraged but not mandatory,

The cost is $100 for Friday and Saturday for classes and jam sessions or $70 for Saturday classes only. Food will be provided. Some alumni have prepaid, Those payments will be applied to the cost. Any over payments can remain as credit for spring 2021 or be refunded.

Since the Ohio Harmonica Championship at Danny G’s Party in North Benton, OH in July was so successful, we will use the safety techniques used then. Seventy people attended the event and a 2 week follow-up of attendees showed no covid 19 infections in the group.

Everyone’s name and temperature will be recorded on Friday night and Saturday morning. We will do a health follow up 10 days after the event.

For the $100 fee, CAMPING is allowed. Dogs are allowed. There is electric hookup available for campers. Danny and Bruce said they have a few bedrooms and couches available if you want one. There is a $60 and a $70 per night motel 15 minutes away.

THIS IS ALL CONTINGENT ON RESPONSE. . This is a last minute plan, but a workable plan. If we get enough people interested, it will happen.

You may ask questions and make suggestions. It is possible for details to change per feedback from the alumni.

Harmonically yours
Jim Rumbaugh
The Harmonica Club of Huntington, WV

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
Re: Harmonicollege 2020
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 09:19:11 PM »
Seventy people attended the event and a 2 week follow-up of attendees showed no covid 19 infections in the group.
Thanks to Danny and Bruce for stepping up to the plate, and congrats on your virus free "commune".
I would attend, but other obligations will not allow that.
Have fun without me!

Offline Danny G

• THE PARTY GUY
  • MonsterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 10:02:29 PM »
Just got this note from Jim
There's room for more people if you're interested give me a call (330)322-9625

James Brill Rumbaugh
12:06 PM (9 hours ago)
to James

I am CONFIRMING it’s a go for the NEW North Ohio HarmoniCollege Oct 2nd & 3rd 2020 program

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 11:09:26 PM »
We just got home from the second night. Good stuff!
Here's DanDan with the new boxing glove. Watch out for that left!

Seriously, he (and Linette) are doing fine. (Amazing would be a better term) We're really proud of that guy!

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 11:18:09 PM »
Over 6 hours in surgery and all the fingers move, including the one they put back on!  All the broken bones are set, and sawed off tendons, reattached. That's flat-out astounding!! I'm gunna hafta make another trip down there in a couple weeks to see the thing with the bandages off.  :)

Offline Lockjaw Larry

• Lockjaw Larry ♪♪ Breathing Music daily ♬
  • V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 11:52:54 PM »
The party was definitely a success with Charlie Barath doing a fantastic job of teaching most of the day.  Thanks a million Charlie.  You’re the man!  Two words to remember: Relax. Breathe.

Many thanks to Danny, Linette and Bruce for their exemplary hosting their great party grounds.  Also many thanks to Jim and Donna Rumbaugh for all the hard work and expenses of hosting this, another memorial Huntington Harmonicollege.

Excited and highly edjumicated longest running alumni
Lockjaw Larry
Be fair, be square and obey the rules of the pack.

frankyb

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 03:37:17 PM »
Over 6 hours in surgery and all the fingers move, including the one they put back on!  All the broken bones are set, and sawed off tendons, reattached. That's flat-out astounding!! I'm gunna hafta make another trip down there in a couple weeks to see the thing with the bandages off.  :)
That truly is amazing! Go Danny!

Offline Bernie9

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 03:41:22 PM »
So happy to hear the news Danny.  What a terrible thing to go through, but at least the outcome looks favorable.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 04:40:51 PM »

That truly is astonishing. Compare this to even 30 years ago - when most likely he'd have lost the hand, or at least most of his fingers. A-MAZ-ing! Yeah--you have to take photos...I have to see what his hand looks like (gotta warn everyone, it's likely to look like something akin to the frankenstein paw at first...with all kinds of interesting colourations). I'm mostly concerned about his pain level and him getting back full use of his hand. It's STILL going to be a long hard road, therapy-wise, but based on how he's done these last few days - he's more than up to the challenge.

scotty

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2020, 08:30:52 PM »
He may have to call up his "ornery factor" to get through it, but (according to Linette) that has never quit working yet.  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 08:33:06 PM by Age »

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 03:58:50 PM »
He may have to call up his "ornery factor" to get through it, but (according to Linette) that has never quit working yet.  ;D ;D ;D

I got a little 'ornery' after my shoulder stuff, and Fred's being downright ornery right now (actually, he's seeing the doctor at this
very moment--so I'm hoping for some good news when he gets back), but to be entirely honest--I truly think Danny would be
more than entitled to FULL-on  orneriness for what's happened to him. Just the thought of it makes my stomach turn over...and I
do NOT envy him the recuperation/therapy (some of which I have some ideas about on a much lesser scale). One young guy was
my 'table partner' - and had done something similar, but only to one finger. I got to see when his bandages came off for the first
time and his therapy began. He tried SO hard not to let loose some 'anglo-saxonisms' - given the number of women present, but
I held his other hand and told him I didn't mind at all and he should just yell as much as he wanted if it helped. No one was going
to judge him. We laughed together then he alternately sobbed with tears running down his face while nearly crushing my good hand, and this was a well-built, tough young construction worker who clearly used his hands for hard work. Ornery is good. It can get you through much.

scotty

Offline Danny G

• THE PARTY GUY
  • MonsterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 05:27:39 PM »
Mowing grass today wasn't as good of an idea as I thought it would be. I got about 1/2 done and decided bouncing around wasn't in my best interest so I quit. Looking forward to seeing the surgeon Tomorrow at 1 PM.. For now, it's after 5 and I'm  thinking that Don Julio and I are I are going to get comfortably numb for the rest of today. 10-4

I didn't attend the class but everyone who did said that Charlie Barth did a fine job. I particularly enjoy Jim Rumbaugh's evening jams. There's always something really cool that happens. Last year it was Michael Rubing trading 8 bars with Clint Hoover playing in all 12 keys on one diatonic harmonica. This year we got an added treats with our own AJ Fedor participating in the jams and Ann Weaver (from Columbus) singing and accompanying herself on guitar while playing a slideless chromatic in the rack. I don't think Age ever played in a blues jam before where the lead passes around the circle of players because a few times he just jumped in out of turn when he felt the urge, but nobody seemed to mind and he was as always, excellent.

Jim, Bruce and I think Harmonicollege went well enough that we're going to do it here again next year in late September or early October..

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 06:03:16 PM »
Yeah, without even thinking about it, I was just plugging in little harmonies with Annie, (like I always do) that is, till Runbaugh yelled me.  :P Hey, What do I know?  I still had fun. ;D

Offline Danny G

• THE PARTY GUY
  • MonsterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2020, 10:52:28 PM »
Didn't know Jim said anything .... oops

Offline wolfman

• HELPER
  • MasterMeister