Author Topic: Gas mileage.  (Read 821 times)

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
Gas mileage.
« on: June 18, 2022, 03:11:07 PM »
Maybe I'm weird (ya think :P) but gas mileage has always been a subject of particular interest to me; even when gas was under 2 bucks/gal.

What tricks do you do to save gas now that the prices are up?

Offline Grizzly

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
Re: Gas mileage.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 05:41:28 PM »
1. combining trips
2. taking a two-lane instead of the Interstate
3. trying to keep my speed slower (not easy w/out cruise!)

Combining errands is the biggie, though.

Tom
working on my second 10,000!

Offline beads

• Chrome-Meister
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 11:54:57 PM »
Keep the tires aired up. Watch down the road for stop signs or lights changing so I can let off the gas sooner and coast up to that red light. No jack rabbit starts. Combining trips. Don't speed. I've been doing these things for decades because I have better things to do with my money. Also driving easier means less repairs on your car.
Onze-Lieve-Vrouw van Troost Bid voor ons.

Offline Buzadero

• Underwater Janitor, Patriot
  • HELPER
  • Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 09:41:20 AM »
Ask to catch a ride with my neighbor......

Offline Gary Richardson

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 10:27:38 AM »
Tires.  I replaced the tires on our SUV with tires that the dealer said that the manufacturer now recommended.  These new tires were not the same as what came with the vehicle originally.  I lost two to four miles per gallon by doing so.  Todays automobiles are equipped to tell you what your mileage is.  This is a great feature.  I have found that my gas mileage does not decrease until I drive over 85.
Gary Richardson

Offline brorat

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 10:53:15 AM »
I have terrible driving habits and a lead foot.  I just pay for the gas and hope it comes down before I go broke!
“Just here to harp on chromatics!”

Offline Keith

• MasterMeister
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 12:50:30 PM »
Walk!  ;D ;D ;D

..or cycle....or Kickbike.... you know, use your own muscles, & get fit into the bargain....  :P

Don't use it for short trips, use your own muscles instead.  ;) :) 8)

Offline smojoe

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • virgo
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 02:16:09 PM »
I do exACTLY what Mr. Beads does. Always have. Living pay to pay until 96, and on a fixed income (which hasn't changed a dime) since then, I don't do what I do to save money. I just never had the repair money and had to 'nurse' my vehicles. But since visiting Scotty in late 2009, I have dabbled in investments and am now 'fairly' solvent. I still practice the same 'Kill 3 stirds with one bone' method of combining errands. Sometimes as many as 5 in one trip. Example: 1. McDonald's for lunch, 2. across the road to CVS for wife's prescriptions, 3. down the road 1/2 mi. to Publix super market, 4. Over to the bank across the road to draw out pocket money, 5. stop at the gas station, 6. buy new sandals at famous footwear, 7. drop off water bill at the city/county bldg.
 I will pay whatever charge for gas and don't hunt for better prices. I always fill my tank. Because I will eventually use the gas anyway..so why bother with $5.oo here and %10.oo there. MY opinioin? Those countries supplying the oil don't have a lot going for themselves as it is. And after the oil is gone, they will be eating: 1. sand, 2. jungle, 3. grass lands. So I give them the money with good hearted intentions.

smo-joe

Offline streetlegal

• MasterMeister
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 04:22:06 AM »
Just wondering if anyone on the forum had taken the plunge and gone electric yet? I think that the surge in petrol prices will lead to an acceleration in the production of electric cars and in the re-charging infrastructure.

Offline Joseph

• Useless Tree
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • Hermit in the Mountains
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 08:55:14 AM »
Walk!  ;D ;D ;D

..or cycle....or Kickbike.... you know, use your own muscles, & get fit into the bargain....  :P

Don't use it for short trips, use your own muscles instead.  ;) :) 8)

This is my preferred solution as well.  I walk, bike, or bus to work, and when possible I prefer to walk when going elsewhere as well.  It is healthier, more economical, and better for the environment overall.

Offline Joseph

• Useless Tree
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • Hermit in the Mountains
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2022, 09:01:18 AM »
Just wondering if anyone on the forum had taken the plunge and gone electric yet? I think that the surge in petrol prices will lead to an acceleration in the production of electric cars and in the re-charging infrastructure.

Here is a testimonial from someone who is, if not a satisfied owner of a Tesla, at least someone who got some final satisfaction out of one:

Offline brorat

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2022, 09:15:13 AM »

I know a number of folks who have either all electric or hybrid vehicles. I have no doubt that we will eventually move that way …but it won’t be quick. Batteries don’t make electricity, they only store it. Two problems with widespread use of EV’s:
1.  Batteries can’t store enough yet for extended range of driving.
2.  We’ll still use fossil fuels for generation of the electricity needed to store in batteries.

For these reasons, the widespread conversion to EV’s will be many years IMO.
Additionally, I don’t see battery powered passenger airliners in our near future! 
There’s plenty of fossil fuel to last us through the eventual development of alternatives, but those who think the conversion will be completed any time soon are (again, IMO!) in for a rude awakening.
“Just here to harp on chromatics!”

Offline wolfman

• HELPER
  • MasterMeister
  • If you have no "slick", you stick.
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2022, 09:27:48 AM »
 And i say,Hear Hear!!

Roman

Offline Keith

• MasterMeister
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2022, 10:42:05 AM »
Another problem with 'electric' is that the batteries are part of the structure of the vehicle, so once the battery dies, (how long will they last anyway), you'll have to buy a complete new vehicle; (at least, that is what I've read).

The idea is good; but the practicalities haven't been worked out yet; & why don't they come with solar panels on their roof, to keep them charged up.

Offline beads

• Chrome-Meister
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2022, 10:44:46 AM »
For many years I took a bus to work. Bought a pass every month. Not to save the planet (that's ok too), but because parking in the city was crazy. Back then a spot rented for $50 a month. I read a lot of good books during the 30 minute trip there and the 30 minute trip home. Also made some friends. Saved many miles on my cars too. Saved a lot of money, but once I had to get a ride home when my wife had a medical emergency. So I always carried cab fare just in case.
Onze-Lieve-Vrouw van Troost Bid voor ons.

Offline HUGO

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • "Alejo"
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2022, 11:39:33 AM »
COMMUTER LINES
* Usually quicker than the car at a fraction of the cost
* Nice fair weather option to car. Bad weather, not so much
* Support for local Commuter / Light Rail is sadly insufficient for it to be a reality. Otherwise, I'd opt for that first

DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT
* Great savings in fuel - YMMV

SHOPPING CART / BICYCLE
* Standard, tote bag style Shopping Cart, bungee cord connected to Rear Rack on bike
* A Bike Flag helps motorists to see the cart which may be below their line of view

MINIMIZE SHOPPING TRIPS:
SHOPPING LIST TEMPLATE
* A printout of all the household items regularly purchased. As the items require replacement, I check them on the list.  When enough items are checked as to justify a shopping trip, I go, taking it along to simplify my shopping experience
* After the trip, I just print out another one

ERRAND ITINERARY
* I map out the location of my stops before leaving home. Sometimes, seeing the dots on paper helps me to connect them better
* Use the E-way where possible for better fuel mileage
Alejo

Offline Grizzly

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2022, 12:53:06 PM »
MINIMIZE SHOPPING TRIPS:
SHOPPING LIST TEMPLATE
* A printout of all the household items regularly purchased. As the items require replacement, I check them on the list.  When enough items are checked as to justify a shopping trip, I go, taking it along to simplify my shopping experience
* After the trip, I just print out another one

Great idea. Shopping for just the two of us, in the same supermarket for 22 years, I have a mental list of the items I buy every week. I only make a list if the extras exceed three items; that's the limit for my memory.

They just rearranged all their shelves to accommodate a liquor department. Once they were done, they handed out a list of where everything currently is. :) But alphabetically, not aisle by aisle. >:(

Tom
working on my second 10,000!

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2022, 02:50:08 PM »
Beside still inherently dangerous, (shorting out and catching fire) and stupidly expensive to buy, the $20,000 replacement batteries, and the "dirty little recycling problem" we really can't get into electric cars without getting political. :P  Alternate modes of travel are cool too but again, not what I'm looking for.

Not so much where and when you go places and/or "trip planning" (all of which are great ideas) but rather getting the most miles per gallon from your internal combustion engine powered vehicle is what I'm curious about. I mostly want to know when and what you do with your right foot. There are no right or wrong answers here; whatever you feel works for you is what I'm looking for. :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 03:03:27 PM by A.J. Fedor »

Offline smojoe

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • virgo
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2022, 03:03:10 PM »
Electricity is fine for stationary applications. But for mobile applications it's a looser. Ok, batteries were invented around 1,100 B>C>. And they haven't (substantially) changed since. You just can't get the energy from using an armature (heavy metal) to cut flux-capacitance from a stator (more heavy metal), to the same degree that a relatively light fossil fueled engine that has 4,ooo-6,ooo controlled EXPLOSIONS going off every minute has. That's physics.

The only way to go is a fuel that can replace fossil. And that's hydro-oxy reactor. So, where do you get the fuel? De-salinated sea water. This will take a while to perfect. And meanwhile, the best alternative is to use fossil until that time arrives.

See, the problem to begin with is that from the dawn of petroleum being discovered, and people clammoring and tripping over themselves to make new engines to use the new wonder fuel, people got used to it being cheap.
Consequently people got used to having more and more power. Literally going drunk with power. Everything got bigger than necessary..AND wasteful.

If people had been a bit more conservative, we wouldn't have wasted/used as much petroleum as we have. And there would be not only plenty left, but also a lot less air pollution than is currently present. Cars, planes, trains, trucks, ships? All over sized and over powered. I call it 'power greed'.

Smo-joe (ombudsman to the world) lolol.

Offline draak13

• Saxman
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2022, 03:28:49 PM »
I live 17 miles from the nearest Interstate. All 2 lane roads. Been retired for 22 years, so I don't have a need to drive to many places. My car is completely paid for, runs well and I am happy with it. Will I trade it in for a $45,000. electric car? NO way is that going to happen.
Favorite instrument-Tenor sax and clarinet but a harmonica is always within reach.

Offline streetlegal

• MasterMeister
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2022, 04:42:33 AM »
Between the two future runners for road vehicles - electric battery and hydrogen - I've always thought that hydrogen had the better potential. But we shall have to watch and see how things develop in terms of engineering over the next ten years.

Offline Edward Brock

• HELPER
  • MasterMeister
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2022, 01:17:00 PM »
I Try not to drive the car or truck Unless Absolutely necessary.
But I'm taking the murder-sickle more when I can.
Back when it was 12.9c - 15.9c a gallon I was all over
the place. 8) That was when I was 16 & Oh So Pretty. ;D ;D
Which I'm not so much now. :'(