Author Topic: Appreciate emancipation from child board  (Read 3465 times)

roady43

Appreciate emancipation from child board
« on: September 09, 2011, 10:15:50 AM »
Thanks for giving alternate tunings an own board! (I mean not being a child board anymore; which was ok so far but this way is really fine).

I appreciate that very much. Although a niche compared with the majority of solo tuning, it makes sense to support the knowledge about alternative reed layouts. Enlarging the spectrum of all possible variations of the chromatic harmonica enriches the field musically and technically. Looking at the violin: principally it has not been changed for more than 300 years in it's layout (classical solotuning of the fiddle is open strings G/D/A/E) but still there is a certain repertoire which asks for retuning the strings (=> scordatura). It would be an enormous loss, if nobody would care about:

Works by Vivaldi, Biber, Tartini etc. but even Alban Berg asks for 2 retuned violins in the stage music of Wozzeck. And when I have to play the soundrack in live performance of The General by Buster Keaton (music by Carl Davis) I depend on a Chrom in C, another in G (both solotuned) and on my augmented to be able to realize everything that is written in the score.

roady43

roady43

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
Re: Appreciate emancipation from child board
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:05:33 PM »
Yup, I have a recording of Bela Bartok with Joseph Szigeti on violin, where the piece (Contrasts) calls for a violin tuned to the tritone.
Ooh, here it is with Yehudi Menuhin on violin! I'm getting chills watching this piece at 4:50--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Nhw1YQRrQ
And here's the original--Benny Goodman on clarinet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhhErDZKOBo&feature=related
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:13:37 PM by Gnarly He Man »

triggerfinger

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »
Roady

I find your comparison to violin alternate tunings a bit off the mark as an analogy to the harmonica alternate tunings. The standard violin is an all-fifths tuning. Nice and simple. A tuning that fosters making a tight mind's ear to instrument connection. The alternate tunings disturb this optimal tuning. This is the opposite of what is happening with the augy and dimi alternate tunings of the harmonica.

chromaddict

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 01:04:10 PM »
No matter how optimal a tuning may be, there will still be things that cannot be accomplished on it, or that may be more easily accomplished on another tuning. 

The analogy may be backwards, but the point it still valid. 

Also the recordings are beautiful.

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 01:37:21 PM »
With regard to mind to ear--I am used to consonance in performance--I can appreciate all alternate tunings, but find that the ones that make it onstage are the ones with a static, consonant resting point.
Bear in mind that I am not dressed in a tuxedo and looking at sheet music.
I find that I have strayed from the topic at hand, and will refrain from doing so. Congratulations to the alternatively tuned chromatic (no diatonic discussions, boys) players of this forum--you are hereby validated!
G

Offline Grizzly

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 02:12:54 PM »
Yes, your parking here has been validated!
working on my second 10,000!

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((ยบ>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 11:54:35 PM »
Kewl!
Then everyone's happy! 8)

Toddskee

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 10:19:53 PM »
Hi Roady43.  I just got called to play The General, orch. by Carl Davis.  I have a Super Deluxe 270 in C, and an older Super 64 for the low B in one of the solos. You mentioned in another forum post I saw that a chromatic in the key of E would work for the major third chords that move down a semitone.   I would love to get my hands on an augmented tuned chromatic, but I don't have the time to order one, and then get comfortable on it before the performance.  Any advice you could give me would be REALLY helpful.

roady43

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 05:01:32 PM »
Hi Roady43.  I just got called to play The General, orch. by Carl Davis.  I have a Super Deluxe 270 in C, and an older Super 64 for the low B in one of the solos. You mentioned in another forum post I saw that a chromatic in the key of E would work for the major third chords that move down a semitone.   I would love to get my hands on an augmented tuned chromatic, but I don't have the time to order one, and then get comfortable on it before the performance.  Any advice you could give me would be REALLY helpful.

Welcome Toddskee

Congratulations! Fantastic to have the opportunity to play this part!

If not completely familiar with an alternate tuning me neither, I would not recommend playing on a different (new) harmonica for a performance in such short time. The 64 will be fine and the 270 as well (when not going down to B). I played the few chords on a Chrometta in G (minor C/Eb and Bb/Db chord) and a Mellow Tone (=270) (minor C/Eb, D/F and B/D). The major chords in the beginning (Bb/D and A/C#), bars 30 and 31 I play on my augmented CX 12 (or MK). Just 2 weeks ago I played it in England with a local orchestra.

Here is a short section during a rehearsal for a performance I played in February:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa5_6Yqswho&feature=youtu.be

Keep your lung ready for either long blowing or inhaling passages (specially exhaling to empty your lung before playing is a very uncommon/strange feeling in music!).

roady43