Author Topic: Request advice: new comb for 270 Toots and Discovery48  (Read 1222 times)

Offline CCristian

• Chrome-Tributor
Request advice: new comb for 270 Toots and Discovery48
« on: December 17, 2013, 04:48:41 AM »
Hi there,
I'm thinking about buy a new comb for my 270 Toots and Discovery48.
I've seen the corian comb, Aluminium comb and Brass Comb from http://builderofstuff.com/ .
What do you suggest me?
I'm living in Italy and this site is in U.S., There are site more suefull for European customers or is better that I'll buy from this site?

Any advice is wellcome
Many thanks
CCristian
«Raffiniert ist der Herr Gott, aber boshaft ist Er nicht»
Only one rule: if you like it when you play it, is good. That's all. (Bob Brozman)

Offline Winslow Yerxa

• Chrome-Meister
    • Winslow Yerxa
Re: Request advice: new comb for 270 Toots and Discovery48
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 05:20:44 PM »
Are you sure that the 270 comb will fit the Discovery? I'm doubtful. Ask Chris to be sure before purchasing.

As to materials, plastic materials such as Corian will be less weighty. Despite my own skepticism about comb materials, I do notice brighter overtones from metal combs.

bloharp

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 03:56:16 PM »
Brass combs do add something to diatonics that the player can sense but IMHO do nothing to improve the performance of a chromatic. It would be nice to think they give the harp a nice horn quality but that isn't the case. It just feels bulky.

Other non wood materials are better suited for making chromatic combs IMHO.

Mike
www.harmonicarepair.com

Offline Winslow Yerxa

• Chrome-Meister
    • Winslow Yerxa
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »
I have some stainless steel 270 combs from Vern's big comb build a few years back. I've noticed much more audible high overtones from a set of reedplates swapped between a sealed pearwood comb and a stainless comb.

Also, a few years back I was discussing chromatic combs with Brendan Power and he was advocating the benefits of metal combs. He especially liked what they did for the top octave. He encouraged me to try one of his metal combed Suzuki chromatics; he'd adapted a set of SCX reedplates to, I think, a 270 metal comb. When I played it, I was surprised at the roundness of tone in the top octave. True, I didn't have the opportunity to do an A/B comparison with the same reedplates on a plastic comb, but I was nonetheless impressed.

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 02:09:35 AM »
I had a nice long chat with Will Galison and he says the wood combs make the recorded sound of the chromatic much sweeter.
He has a lot of experience playing the chromatic  ::) so I am not going to argue with him.
Suzuki doesn't make any wooden combed chromatics at this time, but Hohner continues to produce them.