Author Topic: "CHROMATIC SCALE" for 12 hole Chromatic in 'C'.  (Read 12956 times)

Offline henrymouni

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
"CHROMATIC SCALE" for 12 hole Chromatic in 'C'.
« on: October 09, 2009, 06:09:59 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_scale

As before - starts and ends on 'C'.
Up and back down.

Chromatic scale

C      C#      D      D#      E      F      F#     G      G#      A       A#      B      C
 1      1*      -1     -1*      2     -2     -2*      3      3*      -3      -3*     -4      5

C#      D      D#     E      F      F#      G      G#      A       A#      B       C
 5*      -5     -5*      6     -6     -6*      7      7*     -7      -7*      -8       9   
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------     
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 05:53:23 AM by henrymouni »

Bluesy

Re: "CHROMATIC SCALE" for 12 hole Chromatic in 'C'.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 01:12:46 PM »
Henry, I know it's Christmas and all, but talk about duplications! I mean, woweee! I thought one per octave was a lot (the redundant C), but this looks like extra-special punishment for those naughty children who might be eligible for coal in their stockings!
What's it all about?

Best from New York,
Tom/

Offline henrymouni

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »
Henry, I know it's Christmas and all, but talk about duplications! I mean, woweee! I thought one per octave was a lot (the redundant C), but this looks like extra-special punishment for those naughty children who might be eligible for coal in their stockings!
What's it all about?

Best from New York,
Tom/

It is not for the faint hearted Tom! :D

Henry. :) :) :)

Offline henrymouni

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MasterMeister
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 12:39:25 PM »
Hi Henry
the scale you placed here ,  is that what I should learn , this is my first day with my Hohner super 64X
I would like to start off on the right foot  :) :)  thanks for your help in advance ! :)

Hi Tony.
Yes, but also these :-

https://forums.SlideMeister.com/index.php?topic=2762.0

https://forums.SlideMeister.com/index.php?topic=2766.0

Just copy and print them off for yourself.

Exciting times, my friend! ;)

Henry. :) :) :)

Offline jasonic

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Minator
    • Bluesbop.com
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 01:41:28 PM »
I have to say, the very first scales I committed to learning were chromatic scales, all of them. It may seem silly, but I just felt like I needed to know how to play one note after another easily, like a piano. Once you get the C chromatic pattern, the rest will come easily, you simply start at different spots.

One of my favorite "stupid improv games" is to play over a jazz tune, and only connect chromatically throughout the entire tune. In other words, you can go up or down, in any rhythm, and repeat notes if you want to, but you have to connect with half steps, no whole steps allowed to get from one place to another. It's wacky, but kinda fun to try to make it sound coherent, and really loosens up the chromatic approaches essential to Bebop etc.

I may start a Youtube series entitled "Stupid improv games" soon, thinking about it. I have tons of them.
Don't think-just play! ;-)

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 04:37:21 PM »
One of my favorite "stupid improv games" is to play over a jazz tune, and only connect chromatically throughout the entire tune. In other words, you can go up or down, in any rhythm, and repeat notes if you want to, but you have to connect with half steps, no whole steps allowed to get from one place to another.
My brain hurts just thinking about doing this on harmonica. Easy enough on a stringed instrument.
Yer a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 12:26:56 AM by Gnarly He Man »

Offline sandy

• Baby Button Pusher
  • Newbee
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 11:33:47 AM »
I may start a Youtube series entitled "Stupid improv games" soon, thinking about it. I have tons of them.

Looking forward to that series. One of the exercises I use to work on the chromatic scale is the intro to "Flight of the Bumblebee". Not fast enough to sting anyone yet. Sandy

Offline chromaticdude

• Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 11:43:24 PM »
Now the real fun begins. Using a metronome, start playing the scale at a slow pace (ie: 60 BPM). Then every few minutes increase the rate until you're on the verge of going stir crazy.