Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
GENERAL CHROMATIC DISCUSSION / Re: Chromatic Warmer
« Last post by chromaticdude on Today at 01:17:26 AM »
If it's cold weather and the heat for the house is turned on, I just place my chrom on the radiator before playing. A few minutes on each of the four sides for uniform warming up.
GENERAL CHROMATIC DISCUSSION / Re: My Best Harmonica Accessory
« Last post by chromaticdude on Today at 01:14:00 AM »
All these suggestions are very helpful. But what seems to be overlooked is the fact only one set of reeds & valves dry overnight. What about the other half of the reeds & valves? They're in the same position for the whole length of time. After I'm done playing, I break a Q-Tip in half, push the button for the slider in, and place each stem inside the holes at opposite ends (holes 1 & 12/14/16). That way both sets of reeds & valves get an equal chance of drying up. Just a suggestion.
Maintenance & Repair 101 / Re: Chrometta 10 repair
« Last post by Vale on Yesterday at 10:18:03 PM »
Now ya did it! ;D

Thank you so much, Age!
I'm getting excited about all this repair thing :) ;D
Maintenance & Repair 101 / Re: Removing slide button
« Last post by Danny G on Yesterday at 10:12:17 PM »
(Grey stuff that gets kinda hot when you knead it, right?)

You got it.
« Last post by A.J. Fedor on Yesterday at 09:13:36 PM »
Now ya did it! ;D

There's a zillion reeds that one could ~make~ work, depending on who's doing the work (Smokey Joe makes reeds outta razor blades ::) ) and of course there's the "genuine Hohner replacement' which shouldn't cost more than $218. plus shipping ::)   (which is one of the treasons folks buy junk harmonicas offa Ebay, to scavenge for parts and to use then as learning devices)

Meanwhile look up George at Harmonica Gallery George is a member of this forum and even has a commercial site on the forum. :)
diatonic Discussion / Re: Anyone else like Paddy Richter tuning? I sure do!
« Last post by Edvin on Yesterday at 06:21:46 PM »
I play them in first, second, third or fourth positions typically, making some tunes easier to play, and adding more options for chord vamping or tongue-split intervals.
I like that as well! The added bottom holes are not just for chord vamping though, many tunes can be moved one octave down! If you're into Irish, try moving the Kesh down to the bottom octave!

No matter what genre you favour, it's nice to find major pentatonic scales in 1st and 2nd position running through all 4 octaves, and their minor parallels in 4th and 5th position do as well. That's a bundle-load of range  :)
I have a few Easttop "Lucky 13"s in Paddy Richter tuning, which adds several really handy chords to the diatonic toolbox. (The lucky 13 has 3 more holes to the "left" of the 1 hole, with same tuning as the 1-2-3 holes but an octave lower.)

I play them in first, second, third or fourth positions typically, making some tunes easier to play, and adding more options for chord vamping or tongue-split intervals.
« Last post by frankyb on Yesterday at 05:42:55 PM »

I have a leather belt case that uses a snap to close the flap.  Even closed there are openings on each side of the flap, so it is getting air at all times.  If I have played for long, I leave the flap open for a while to let more air in.

Slim,

You and are both OCD about warm-up and dry out.
I worry about too much heat with the blanket, so like use the natural approach.
I do use a blanket to warm up at home, and I use a small fan to the rack if one played a lot.
So many requirements -- I'll reconsider melodica.
Trivia = my melodica case has 4 vent holes on the sides. Maybe chromatic cases should be vented.
Neil Adler
« Last post by Vale on Yesterday at 05:20:42 PM »
While trying to work on it, I ended up breaking a reed.
Would you have any suggestion on where to find replacement reeds for a Chrometta 10?
I am not sure I will be able to fix it, but I have to start somewhere.
Thank you!
« Last post by beads on Yesterday at 04:57:25 PM »
I place 2 harmonica cases far enough apart so that an inch of each end of a chromatic sits on a case. The middle of each chromatic is elevated to allow ventilation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10