Author Topic: Vibrato  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Splashdown

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Tributor
Re: Vibrato
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2022, 11:03:07 AM »
I was just about to ask this question on the board. So glad I looked! I'm trying to add a little more "umph" and soulful sound while playing mic'd, and the hand stuff that I used to do with the diatonic is out. I just wanted to thank you guys for such great places to begin!
"When you're happy, you listen to the music. When you're sad, you understand the lyrics."
-- George Jones

Offline Old Age

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2022, 11:35:34 AM »
Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't take much vibrato to make a "night and day" difference in your playing. Not unlike daisy-chaining sixteen effects pedals together, the popular vibratos can be overdone. A complete "open-closed," hand-flap, a super deep, throat vibrato, or a syrupy "yah-yah" can all be flat-out obnoxious when "slathered" on with too much gusto. :P (to me anyway) When I hear it, I just stop listening.

Watch a choir directors hands signal to those with vibratos, to use them at the end of a big phrase. Why? Cuz many times, that's all ya need.  8) 
 "Subtlety" is the key. IMO, of course. :o

Offline Old Age

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2022, 11:41:19 AM »
Oops! I also forgot to mention that the "flamboyance factor" never really impressed me (at least not in a positive way ::)) besides, it doesn't show up on the radio. ;D
IMO
Offline OhioMusicalSawMan

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2022, 05:45:03 PM »
Lip or jaw vibrato for me. My first instrument is trumpet, so lip vibrato comes naturally to me. I would describe it as wiggling or shaking my lower lip and jaw just a little to add that vibrato to the tone. Thus far, though, this is only happening for me on the blow notes. Been playing harp now for about 15 months, so the vibrato on the draw notes may come yet.

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2022, 05:47:37 PM »
Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't take much vibrato to make a "night and day" difference in your playing. Not unlike daisy-chaining sixteen effects pedals together, the popular vibratos can be overdone. A complete "open-closed," hand-flap, a super deep, throat vibrato, or a syrupy "yah-yah" can all be flat-out obnoxious when "slathered" on with too much gusto. :P (to me anyway) When I hear it, I just stop listening.

Watch a choir directors hands signal to those with vibratos, to use them at the end of a big phrase. Why? Cuz many times, that's all ya need.  8) 
 "Subtlety" is the key. IMO, of course. :o

Very true. My trumpet instructor, when I was in high school, described vibrato as adding a little seasoning. Just the right amount, not too much, not too little.

Offline ejacob4

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2022, 08:29:58 PM »
Lip vibrato. Wow. Every now and then ya hear something really different and intriguing.  8)

Best regards,
Ed

Offline Old Age

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2022, 09:56:04 PM »
I've been using some kinda lip thing a lot lately. I haven't figured out exactly what I'm doin' yet, but it seems to be working. For the low notes, I go with a throat vibrato (cuz that's pretty much the only place I can make it work :-[) I still stay away from the hand flaps (on the Chromatic) cuz I guess, I just don't like'em. :P

Offline ejacob4

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2022, 11:56:43 PM »
Yup, Larry Adler meets Alfred Hitchcock. Terrifying. So vaudeville.

Best regards,
Ed

Offline Old Age

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2022, 09:06:53 AM »
To me, the music was a bi-product of his trying to fly. :P

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2022, 01:37:43 PM »
Lip vibrato. Wow. Every now and then ya hear something really different and intriguing.  8)

Best regards,
Ed

I was wondering if this is something different in the Harp world or not. My harp playing is preceded by 41 years of brass playing, so it just came naturally. So far, haven't talked with many other Harmonicists, so I don't have a good sense of what is unique, typical, etc.  Danny G is in my area, though, so am looking forward to heading to one of his events when the ole schedule permits

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2022, 01:39:58 PM »

Best regards,
Ed

This makes we wonder if good ole Jimmy Stewart ever played Harmonica. I know that Abe Lincoln was known as a Harmonicist.

Offline Grizzly

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2022, 06:49:20 PM »

Best regards,
Ed

I was wondering if this is something different in the Harp world or not. My harp playing is preceded by 41 years of brass playing, so it just came naturally. So far, haven't talked with many other Harmonicists, so I don't have a good sense of what is unique, typical, etc.  Danny G is in my area, though, so am looking forward to heading to one of his events when the ole schedule permits
As a flutist of some 68 years (really), the vibrato I use I learned very young, and use it on harmonica, even on inhale (took awhile to learn that). So, different from a brass player's. But not limited to just the low notes, so there's hope, age. ;)

Tom
working on my second 10,000!

Offline BeauKim

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2022, 07:45:12 PM »

Best regards,
Ed

As a flutist of some 68 years (really), the vibrato I use I learned very young, and use it on harmonica, even on inhale (took awhile to learn that). So, different from a brass player's. But not limited to just the low notes, so there's hope, age. ;)

Tom

I'd love to hear a sample of your flute style diaphragm vibrato on the harmonica, Tom!  Is it more of just a tremolo than vibrato? 

Offline Old Age

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2022, 07:53:42 PM »

Best regards,
Ed

This makes we wonder if good ole Jimmy Stewart ever played Harmonica. I know that Abe Lincoln was known as a Harmonicist.
No. From what I read, he didn't really play, just mimicked Larry Adler who was supposedly on the set during the filming

Offline Grizzly

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2022, 09:08:05 PM »
"I'd love to hear a sample of your flute style diaphragm vibrato on the harmonica, Tom!  Is it more of just a tremolo than vibrato?"

Here is an example. I'm playing to a remote (live) piano track, so the beats don't always line up perfectly. But you'll get the picture.

Tom

Offline wolfman

• HELPER
  • MasterMeister
  • If you have no "slick", you stick.
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2022, 09:57:07 PM »
  Very  8) Tom.

Offline Gene Oh

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2022, 02:35:38 AM »
"Here is an example. I'm playing to a remote (live) piano track, so the beats don't always line up perfectly. But you'll get the picture."

It sounds very good to me.  I played along and it seems to be in the key of Db. Correct?

Cheers,
Gene
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 10:57:27 AM by A.J. Fedor »

Offline Grizzly

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2022, 07:56:58 AM »
"Here is an example. I'm playing to a remote (live) piano track, so the beats don't always line up perfectly. But you'll get the picture."

It sounds very good to me.  I played along and it seems to be in the key of Db. Correct?

Cheers,
Gene
Yes.

T

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2022, 04:19:31 PM »
"I'd love to hear a sample of your flute style diaphragm vibrato on the harmonica, Tom!  Is it more of just a tremolo than vibrato?"

Here is an example. I'm playing to a remote (live) piano track, so the beats don't always line up perfectly. But you'll get the picture.

Tom

Sounds good  8) Just the right amount of vibrato, not too much, not too little