Author Topic: A PFC song I've been searching for...What's going on (not the Marvin Gaye song)  (Read 877 times)

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
I'd heard this song by the Playing for Change people years ago but could never find the video. Wow - this is a version I've never
seen before....filmed during the PFC Band's concert in Madrid. Clarence Bekker, Titi Tsira and others. Louis Mhlanga of Zimbabwe
is the fantastic guitarist. So much energy, you might want to get up and dance. :)

scotty
PS: the song is actually called 'What's Up', but I've known it as 'what's going on' from the chorus ever since I first heard the 4NonBlonds verson. Mea culpa for leading anyone astray.

Hope this works, but IF not, click on the 'watch on youtube' words above and you can see it on youtube: Clarence Bekker
is my long-time favourite among so many fantastic singers in their group. He puts so much passion into everything he does:

« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 09:31:22 AM by Scotty »

Offline zvigrunb

• Chrome-Minator
  • Tzvika G.
Hi everyone :)

What's the first piece Tommy Morgan plays here?
Sounds very familiar... Don't know it's name.

https://youtu.be/16QS7KyrGGI
"Live long and prosper",
Tzvika

Offline brorat

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Meister
Rainy Days and Mondays by Roger Nichols, lyrics by Paul Williams. Made a hit by The Carpenters.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 05:10:22 AM by brorat »
“Just here to harp on chromatics!”

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
Hi everyone :)

What's the first piece Tommy Morgan plays here?
Sounds very familiar... Don't know it's name.

https://youtu.be/16QS7KyrGGI
Tzvi: you should move yours to its own separate topic. I need to find and repost the video for the topic I began about the Playing
For Change group's song. Go to General Chromatic, look just above the list and see 'new topics' to click on it and begin your
own thread. :)

scotty

Offline zvigrunb

• Chrome-Minator
  • Tzvika G.
Thanks for the tip Scotty,
Just thought not necessary for one question that probably won't evolve to a discussion :)
"Live long and prosper",
Tzvika

Offline zvigrunb

• Chrome-Minator
  • Tzvika G.
Rainy Days and Mondays by Roger Nichols, lyrics by Paul Williams. Made a hit by The Carpenters.

Got it...Thanks!!
Now to work :)
"Live long and prosper",
Tzvika

Offline draak13

• Saxman
  • Chrome-Tributor
Hi Scotty. This is the first time I have heard this music. Went online and got a Midi of it. Worked out a version that sounds great going through my Tenor Sax. Neighbor heard me playing and came knocking at my door. Like me, he is a very old man. He plays trumpet and wanted a copy of the music. While I was making him a copy, he pointed out that my Taylor guitar standing in the corner,  looked like it could not wait for it's turn. Thank you very much for getting the blood  flowing again in our elderly bodies. That includes the guitar. ;D
Favorite instrument-Tenor sax and clarinet but a harmonica is always within reach.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
SO glad, Draak. PFC (the players and group) began as a way to expose buskers and unknown players to the World--
and it grew into a fantastic Phenomenon from there. International players from all over the World have signed on and
joined in. Their very first collaboration was 'Stand By Me' and the emotions well up each time I see the plane lift off. I'll post
it here for you (if you haven't ever seen it before). I became a member many years ago, buying their first CD and DVD)

The songs were mostly covers with a few originals thrown in as time went on. Some famous faces signed on as well and
it's fun to spot them among the people who eke out a living 'playing for change' on the street. The premise now is to 'play
for change' (in the World). They've built several music schools in Africa and continue on. :)

I believe this one is one of their 'originals', and absolutely love it.  It's so nice to find someone else who reacts to it the
same way. :)

scotty
PS: I ADORE Sax music --so wish I could play it - OR guitar.
PPS: here's 'Stand By Me' begun by Roger Ridley on the Santa Monica Pier (their very first artist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 12:27:02 AM by Scotty »

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
Thanks for the tip Scotty,
Just thought not necessary for one question that probably won't evolve to a discussion :)

Not all do, but it's hidden here in my PFC topic, so only those interested in Playing For Change
will see it.

scotty