Author Topic: Greg Jones checks out the Psardo Elite 64  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Danny G

• Happiness is a New Harmonica
  • THE PARTY GUY
  • MonsterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
Greg Jones checks out the Psardo Elite 64
« on: October 28, 2020, 02:12:35 PM »
An experts inside look at Phil Sardo's Elite 64

Offline Wendellfiddler

• Chrome-Meister
    • Gypsy Wranglers
Re: Greg Jones checks out the Psardo Elite 64
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 10:48:42 AM »
Hey, very cool.  I played one a SPAH a few years ago and couldn't really do much with it because the mouthpiece holes were sharp as heck.  One of the builders was there and he said they would be doing better with that in future.  Has anyone got more experience with that lately?  I appreciate the effort and investment it has taken to design and implement a new design like this but I can't understand why they would offer one up for people to see and try that had holes so sharp that for me it was unplayable.  Geez.  I know I am overly fussy about this because I play center tongue, but I can't be the only one who cares about that.  FWIW the new Hohner performance models are just barely finished off smoothly enough for me - ok, but on the edge of acceptable.  People rave about the Suzuki and MK mouthpieces and the finish on the holes has a lot to do with why they are so comfortable.  More recent eastops have nice finish too.  Hopefully they Psardo builders have rectified that.  Would be glad to hear that was so.

Doug Tanner
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 11:02:00 AM by Wendellfiddler »
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rollez

Offline smojoe

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • virgo
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 12:18:24 PM »
First of all Greg is a hero oif mine, but the heading is true. "Greg Jones checks out the Psardo". AND that's about what he did. So to me, at least, I don't recall anyone actually putting one through all 11-12 important aspects of what this chromo should be able to do?

smo-joe

Offline Doug

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 01:42:58 PM »
I didn’t realize the Psardo uses Seydel stainless steel reeds. I played one at NAMM a couple of years ago and didn’t like it at all. The sound, to my ears, is too bright. But I didn’t like the Saxony for the same reason. Also, it’s quite heavy and big in the hands. The Goldbar is a good, or maybe unfortunate, name. I actually was shocked how unimpressed I was with it. Oddly, I think that was the same year I played the Seydel Grand Symphony and really liked it. I guess covers and construction do make a difference in the sound and feel.

Sorry to be negative about the Psardo. I’m sure it’s an amazing harmonica. I admire the innovation, and I’m glad I got to play one because that’s one less harmonica on my HAS list. 
Every noble work is at first impossible. - Thomas Carlyle

frankyb

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 08:57:21 PM »
Does anyone know how much the Elite 64 weighs?

Offline The Lone Harper

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
  • New Chromatic Player
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 12:03:37 AM »
First of all Greg is a hero oif mine, but the heading is true. "Greg Jones checks out the Psardo". AND that's about what he did. So to me, at least, I don't recall anyone actually putting one through all 11-12 important aspects of what this chromo should be able to do?

smo-joe

Many thanks to Doug for sharing his thoughts on this instrument, the first review I've read online.

I'd love to hear a review of this instrument after one has been put through its paces by a seasoned veteran such as Smo-Joe,  or one of today's elite players such as William Galison, Gregoire Maret, etc. to hear how they think it compares to the more mainstream instruments available. As far as design goes I certainly like the idea of only having to deal with that part of the reed plate giving grief.
"Hi ho, Silver Concerto! Away!"

Offline Danny G

• Happiness is a New Harmonica
  • THE PARTY GUY
  • MonsterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 12:18:39 AM »
I was at Phil Sardo's booth at NAMM standing close enough to Stevie Wonder to see the 4 Gold Bars in his harmonica case.