Author Topic: A Work In Progress  (Read 131 times)

Offline brorat

• CHARTER MEMBER
  • Chrome-Meister
A Work In Progress
« on: August 14, 2022, 03:23:20 PM »
Back Story:
This morning, my wife was playing organ at a Lutheran church in town.  I took the opportunity to go pick up my 14-year-old grandson, Davis, and we went to IHOP for breakfast.  After breakfast, he thought we should find a way to work on a duet for his grandmother.  We went back to my house, and I suggested a number for us to try.  I picked a pretty hard piece ... and one that he didn't know.  I played it for him once on a YouTube site, then we found sheet music for it.  He worked on sight reading it for about 30 minutes, then my wife came home from her gig.  We went into our living room, and Davis put his iPhone on the piano to record the two of us playing the song.
The recording isn't very good, and the "beat" you hear is the pedal on the piano.  Davis and I both did a bit of struggling with our playing.  On the whole, however, I'm amazed at this kid's talent and how quickly he picks up ANYTHING musical.
So ... given the back story, allow me to present to you our effort on the Bach/Gounod "Ave Maria".
“Just here to harp on chromatics!”

Offline Old Age

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
Re: A Work In Progress
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 08:41:31 PM »
Bravo!
You guys sound pretty good! ;D

Offline Bernie9

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 04:15:59 AM »
I hope the two of you can continue with your duo, or even add the organ at times. Many of us can look back on our musical journeys and wish we had the opportunity and encouragement that this young man is getting. Brorat, I think you are doing a wonderful thing, and having fun at the same time.  Win win

Offline brorat

• CHARTER MEMBER
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 08:32:59 AM »
I hope the two of you can continue with your duo, or even add the organ at times. Many of us can look back on our musical journeys and wish we had the opportunity and encouragement that this young man is getting. Brorat, I think you are doing a wonderful thing, and having fun at the same time.  Win win

Thanks, Bernie.  I think he enjoys it, and it's amazingly rewarding for me.
You're right ... win/win!

Offline Gerundino

• HELPER
  • Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 02:50:00 PM »
Beautiful! I am really touched by you guys! Played with a lot of feeling.
Great to make music with your grandson
Peter

Offline Gary Richardson

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 07:11:16 PM »
Great.  You might consider entering him as a candidate for SPAH's Rosebush Youth Scholarship program.  Check out the SPAH web site. 
Gary Richardson

Offline Gene Oh

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 09:13:05 PM »
What a Wow factor! David is very, very talented in music.
Gene

Offline brorat

• CHARTER MEMBER
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 08:38:17 AM »
Thanks for all the positive comments.  Naturally, I'm very proud of Davis, and I try to get past the normal "bias" in my thinking.  He really has a love for music, and he has an innate talent for it, too.
However, he's a "fur piece" away from qualifying for a scholarship!  (Well, he may get one on piano ... but not chromatic.  Yet.)

I just enjoy the fact that he actually WANTS to play along with me.  He likes lots of types of music, but his favorite is 50's/60's.  So ... we have that in common, too!

Offline wolfman

• HELPER
  • MasterMeister
  • If you have no "slick", you stick.
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 09:19:38 AM »
That's pretty  8) Doug.

Roman