Author Topic: Daytripper's  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Gary Richardson

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Tributor
Daytripper's
« on: August 24, 2023, 03:11:02 PM »
This year at SPAH I noticed for the first time lots of people wearing backpacks.  Wow, there sure are a lot of dope dealers here this year.  Naw, marijuana is legal in Missouri.  One of the backpackers came in late for a mainstage show and hit me in the back of the head with their backpack grabbing a seat behind me with no apology.  Mumble mumble to myself.  Then I read here where Beads lives close to St. Louis and would be attending.  Then I realized they must be Daytripper's and live relatively close by.   
Gary Richardson

Offline beads

• Chrome-Meister
    • my youtube channel
Re: Daytripper's
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 08:24:48 PM »
My plans got changed. My wife had a minor surgery right before the convention and I stayed home to care for her. This is the first St. Louis SPAH in 20 years that I didn't spend at least one day at. She is healing well. By the way, I also don't understand backpacking in urban areas. Who needs that much baggage? I have pockets and don't even fill all of those.  :)
Onze-Lieve-Vrouw van Troost Bid voor ons.

Offline Age

• A.J.Fedor
  • HELPER
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º> (member since 9/1/22)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 09:43:27 PM »
. . . One of the backpackers came in late for a mainstage show and hit me in the back of the head with their backpack grabbing a seat behind me with no apology.  Mumble mumble to myself. 

Obviously not a Chromatic player :-X
Retired Champion Thread Starter 😎

Offline John Broecker

• (Time-traveller)
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Vintage 2K? Swan 1456 & JB
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 10:22:57 AM »
This is a suggestion for the next time that
SPAH is held in St. Louis.

While you're in St. Louis, you might want to
take a side trip to Chesterfield, MO.

Harley Crain, President of Harmonica Collectors
International, lives in Chesterfield:

Harley Crain
741 Cedar Field Court
Chesterfield, MO 63017
no phone number listed

www.harleysharps.com

email:
hcrain@harleysharps.com
hcrain1@earthlink.net

Best Regards, Stay Healthy

JB
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 10:31:35 AM by John Broecker »
"Elton John is right up there with David Bowie."--Rick Harrison, "Pawn Stars" TV show, USA. Rick is discussing collectibles.

Offline Gary Richardson

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 10:52:34 AM »
Glad to hear that your wife is healing well.  I wondered why I did not bump into you. 
Gary Richardson

Offline Ed McCullough

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 01:59:42 AM »
Beads:
YOu wrote:  "backpacking in urban areas."
I answer:  I usually ride the city buses, rather than driving. I use a backpack which includes magazines or books, umbrella (black ones are good on clear days with blazing sun,  water, tea, plastic bags for vegetables when I go shopping, spoon, chopsticks, dental floss, maybe a flash drive, KN95 masks, a sheet of paper towels, pens, paper, etc. I also might have some food, a sweatter, jacket, hat (or place to put the hat I have been wearing outdoors. If I stop at a grocery store, then I use the backpack rather than plastic bags. Carrying groceries in a backpack is much easier than carrying them in plastic bags.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 09:35:23 AM by Ed McCullough »

Offline John Broecker

• (Time-traveller)
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 10:37:41 AM »
It's a trade-off (which do you prefer);
plastic bags or backpack?

I've never carried a backpack, but
assume that it would be easier to
carry stuff with a backpack, than
plastic bags. The hands are free to
do whatever, with a backpack.

But, the price of a backpack is probably
10-15 times greater than plastic bags,
in dollars. Plastic bags are free at stores.

But, the plastic bags may break, and
are carried by hand. Too many bags
(3-6) are hard to carry by hand.

I use a personal grocery cart, because
I live about 1 mile from a grocery store.
That's only 2 miles round trip, walking.

You choose.

Best Regards, Stay Digital

JB

"Elton John is right up there with David Bowie."--Rick Harrison, "Pawn Stars" TV show, USA. Rick is discussing collectibles.

Offline Lockjaw Larry

• Lockjaw Larry ♪♪ Breathing Music daily ♬
  • V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2023, 11:32:04 AM »
While in school last century ( no it wasn’t up hill each way-just one) ( I had shoes too) I had to walk over a mile to the bus stop.  I usually carried several books home and in inclement weather they were difficult to protect from the elements.  No plastic bags, bottled water or such were available.  Back packs were unknown in those days but I did find a surplus bag I carried my homework books in.  I would have loved a real backpack.  Umbrellas would have  also been a great accessory.
I see small school children straining under the weight of their backpacks and am appalled they are burdened with so much weight to carry home daily.  We left most of our belongings in our desks, back in the safe days.
Be fair, be square and obey the rules of the pack.

Offline Gary Richardson

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2023, 12:50:47 PM »
Larry one of our local High Schools just underwent an expansion and renovation.  The old student "lockers" were removed and were not replaced.  This allowed for additional student traffic space in the hallways of the school.  The HS Principal explained that text books were no more.  That the students now used tablets.
Gary Richardson

Offline Age

• A.J.Fedor
  • HELPER
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2023, 01:37:37 PM »
Yeah, backpacks were unheard of. Only the nerdy kids (who we called "study bugs," and somehow, were always the ones who wore glasses) carried those little canvas "flight bags" (the rest of you old guys remember) all fulla books cuz they were also the ones who did their homework. I never did; too busy doing fun stuff, besides, homework was what "study halls' were for.

Umbrellas? Nah! Those were for wienies.  The only thing they were good for was maybe keeping my cigarette from going out, and since only girls used umbrellas, it also helped me learn to flirt. ;D

Just googled and measured it. In Cleveland, I walked a mile and a quarter to both Elementary and Jr High and three quarter mile to bus stop for Sr high, then when we moved to the country, I drove myself after that. Never rode in a "school bus" in my entire life. Hmm! Just thought of that
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 01:39:47 PM by Age »

Offline Ed McCullough

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2023, 04:28:49 AM »

If there's any chance I'm going to be in a grocery store, I always take my big backpack. Once I found some marvelous things in a closeout section in the store, and put 30 lb into my backpack. I took them home via walking and the bus and then went back for another load

Online streetlegal

• MasterMeister
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2023, 05:55:22 AM »
I'm just back from my morning supermarket expedition. It's pretty much downhill all the way on the bike. And then on the way back, with three panniers fully loaded with groceries, walking I push back up the hill. I suppose it is just less than a mile each way, but that hill up Main Street is pretty steep, especially when pushing a loaded bike all the way. A lot easier than carrying shopping bags though. So that's a good morning workout for me - no gym subscription required 8).

Offline Age

• A.J.Fedor
  • HELPER
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2023, 10:43:36 AM »
Yeah, with my worn-out knees, I just rely on the bike's saddlebags and sometimes whatever Mamma can hang on to till we get home. I remember my GoldWing yoosta carry about 75 lbs. of groceries. Yeah, I miss that old scooter.  :’(

Offline Lockjaw Larry

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2023, 09:08:27 PM »
Re: school bus…
After walking over a mile on dirt road and through the woods to my bus stop (which was at my buddies house) the snowy winter day was beautiful.  My Buddy and I decided to miss the bus and walk to school.  It was several miles during which we enjoyed breaking ice from trees and from the flooded creeks.  We arrived at school just before noon.  We checked in the principals office to get a late excuse pass.  He started to admonish us for being so late until I told him we missed the bus and had to walk all the way on the cold winter morning because no one would pick us up ( we usta hitch hike in those days).  Well didn’t he look surprised!  We got our passes.

During our next full school assembly he told the whole school how proud he was of us for our determination to walk in the cold all the way.  Take a bow boys.  Lol
Well, we didn’t exactly lie.

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2023, 11:15:14 PM »
Kewl story.
What I remember most about walking a mile to school is that my hair froze. ;D Boy do I miss that!

Offline Lockjaw Larry

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2023, 11:25:24 PM »
One cold winter morning I was running a little late so I stuffed my pipe into my pocket and started trotting
( jogging in todays jargon).  In a few minutes my leg started burning at my pocket because the rushing air caused the smoldering pipe to get hot and nearly blazed.  Needless to say I never tried that again.

Offline brorat

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2023, 08:13:42 AM »
The school bus route through the country that picked up me and my siblings was a long ride.  The leg of the route that we lived on was at the end of that leg, so the bus driver turned around at our house and headed in another direction.  Our driveway was about 1/4 mile long, and up at the house it circled around a grassy plot with a big oak tree.  The driver could easily have just come up the driveway path, picked us up, circled around, and headed back out the driveway.  But ... NOOOO.  The school board said that would show favoritism to us, so the driver ( a woman named Ruby) had to pull beyond the entry to the driveway, back into it, and basically do a "three point turn" to head back the other way.  She was a horrible driver!  Every day she'd back over one of my mom's shrubs planted at the driveway entry.  Every day she'd run over the 2x4 curbing that dad had placed there to maintain the edge of the driveway.  Every day my dad would yell at her for her "stupid driving".  It actually became a funny scene after a few years ;)
“Just here to harp on chromatics!”

Offline Age

• A.J.Fedor
  • HELPER
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2023, 12:45:29 PM »
Reminds me of my "yoot" in the city. You know; "The Wonder Years"

When I was a kid, growing up in Cleveland, we had a next-door neighbor who could NOT drive an automobile. No one could ever figure out how Nicky got a license. Of course, he taught his daughters to drive, and did a great job. They learned to drive exactly like Daddy.
They had a standard size driveway with lots of mud on both sides. Their cars would always end up stuck on either side of the drive or in their lawn. In the fifteen years that I lived there, I never saw anyone in that family go in or out without missing the drive.They (the family) used to drive up over the sidewalk, often through their bushes, and leaving the car in the mud, next to the drive, they would walk into the house. Normal? :P When they left, they would track that mud into the street. We were the only “City Kids” who played “Bounce of Fly’s" on a mud street, cuz Nicky was probably the only person in Cleveland who routinely had dirt or gravel delivered to his front yard.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 08:23:00 PM by Age »

Offline John Broecker

• (Time-traveller)
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2023, 03:54:17 PM »
Walking to school in Winter (this story is 100% true):

When I was in 8th grade (age 13), my younger brother
& sister and I walked about a mile to school, and a mile
back home after school, weekdays.

On one winter day in 1963, the snow was about 12" deep.
We walked to school, as always. Some places were not
shoveled for walking. It was very cold that day.

We didn't know how cold, until we got to school. The janitor
was plowing the parking lot. He saw us. He came to us, and
asked, "what are you doing here?"

I answered, we're going to school. He said the school is closed,
go home. No one told us that the school was closed for the day,
with a temperature of -25 Fahrenheit (-32 Celsius) real temperature,
not wind chill factor. Wind Chill Factor temperatures weren't set by
the National Weather Service  until years later.

We turned around and walked home.

Today, I don't go out when the temperature is below 10F degrees.

Best Regards, Stay Healthy

JB
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 04:03:51 PM by John Broecker »

Offline BeauKim

• Chrome-Minator
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2023, 08:12:17 PM »
I was carrying my backpack pretty much the whole time at SPAH, as well as my other case with my bass and 48 chord harmonicas. Oof, that was heavy.

My backpack had my sheet music for my rehearsals or performances, and my chromatics and diatonics all of which I needed to play everyday. I think I also carried a backpack for the previous SPAHs as it’s way less likely I’ll forget it if I put it down, compared to just carrying a case of harmonicas in my hand. Oh, that would be a nightmare. Back then, I was also staying at AirBnB’s to save on the hotel fees, so another necessity to carry a bag.

Offline Gary Richardson

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2023, 08:32:12 PM »
Boaz, I am glad it wasn't your backpack that hit me up side the head.  That would have hurt!
I enjoyed your performance's.  Put a smile on my face.
Gary Richardson