Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I don't think I have enough years left in me to ever be a jazz player but the journey's still a lotta fun. (and I'm a certified fun-freak  ;D)
GENERAL CHROMATIC DISCUSSION / Re: Anyone submit a piece for ICCCH?
« Last post by Rechmbrs on Today at 08:03:51 PM »
Tom,

Tabs as input to a program is a problem as the note duration and level are missing for every note.  When using the piano input, you must also chose the note duration and level for the sheet music to really playable.  Key signature and time signature must be input and is not available with tabs.

MuseScore is little different from using paper and pencil to write music.  You can do all of the copy/paste etc, things.  I was showing one of my granddaughters a 12 bars blues and we were able to key in the first measure and then copy once and paste to the other measures very easily.  We did it all in less than 10 mins with noteheads showing the note name and she made a bass clef for the double bass which she is learning.  She already plays piano and uke.

During the whole procedure, we listened to the midi play the 12 bars with a 12 hole Chrom and then added the double bass.

RONC
GENERAL CHROMATIC DISCUSSION / Re: My Small Harmonica Collection
« Last post by A.J. Fedor on Today at 08:00:44 PM »
Kewl!
I have just two of those, and one is a Gold one I bought for Barbara for our anniversary. Funny you mentioned this cuz she wore hers today. :)
Yeah, Scotty!  And ain't it a hoot when it starts to happen? After a while the button just starts moving in and out, under your finger automatically, and it makes ya smile while you're playing. 8)

Oh, I'm not even on the same Planet as you when it comes to accidentals and 'trills' and things - don't use the button a
fraction as often as you, but yeah....it comes easily since it's happening so naturally. YOU add those other 'extras' because you're a special player. I know I'll never be a good jazz player - but that's ok. I'm happy playing my ballads and melodies.
 :)

scotty
BanterMeister / Re: Cindy
« Last post by A.J. Fedor on Today at 07:43:01 PM »
Oh wow! Not fun and pretty scary!  :o. Barbara and I will add Cindy to our list
Yeah, Scotty!  And ain't it a hoot when it starts to happen? After a while the button just starts moving in and out, under your finger automatically, and it makes ya smile while you're playing. 8)
GENERAL CHROMATIC DISCUSSION / Re: Signature Number?
« Last post by A.J. Fedor on Today at 07:33:55 PM »
'You don't know me'...Ray Charles' style.

scotty

Yeah, it lays kinda nice in E flat :)
GENERAL CHROMATIC DISCUSSION / Re: Anyone submit a piece for ICCCH?
« Last post by Rechmbrs on Today at 07:16:46 PM »
Kewl! And what a great tool for learning standard notation.

How does it show sharp and flat notes (slide in)? And can it be edited to show alternate slide/breaths? Do you enter standard notation and the plugin converts it, or can you create original tabs that then show up with the standard notation? Can tabs be played back to listen to? Those would be important things to know before installing.

BTW, I have no personal use for it, but might consider it if I wanted to make my compositions available to harmonica tab readers. I really like the fact that the plugin includes the rhythm so people can study and learn it.

Tom

I use the piano keyboard option to input the notes.  The program then converts that to midi info and the plugin I discussed translates to harmonica tabs.  This is a very well designed and written program.  The outputs are numerous - midi, mp3, png, svg, .....  The display of the sheet music is first class.  Only problem I've seen with the display is note spacing makes for fewer notes per line some times.

I'm a player not a composer or conductor so I'm sure I've seen only a small part of the possible usage.  It runs on PC, MAC, Android, iPad/iPhone....

Plenty of documentation if you want to search for something.

RONC
"What I'm finding is that, if I pay close attention, I'm beginning to "hear" a note or two ahead, and I can sorta "feel" the interval coming up that will require a push of the button.
Does that make any sense?"

THAT is 'playing by ear'. When you're finally confident about 'hearing' a note (or six) ahead and know for sure exactly
when you hit the intervals so push the button automatically because your brain 'just knows' then you're completely there. :)
And it isn't whack.

Another way I do it since I don't think in terms of intervals or notes, is to listen to the song being sung (or the instrumental being played) in my head, and simply play along by allowing my brain and hands to do their thing. I listen to music incessantly and I suppose I've learned the songs I love by heart, including the pauses, rhythm and timing. Playing those I love does require mental concentration of course - which is why I usually close my eyes when I play. I absolutely couldn't play at all if I had to focus on pushing the button 'now', or thinking of what note lives where or when an interval is coming up, etc. It all has to become ingrained and just flow naturally. I'd guess 90% of by-ear playing takes place subconsciously?

scotty
GENERAL CHROMATIC DISCUSSION / My Small Harmonica Collection
« Last post by nadlerus on Today at 06:53:50 PM »
My little collection:
Left: Four Hohners, Made in Germany,
        one a rare 5 hole (25th Aniv. of Harmonicats), one 'Chamber Huang'.
        Butterfly box 'Made in Occupied Japan" Nice.
Right: Suzuki, Easttop, Swan, Kaine?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10