Author Topic: The Tremolo Fan Club Thread  (Read 37908 times)

Offline beads

• Chrome-Meister
    • my youtube channel
Re: The Tremolo Fan Club Thread
« Reply #420 on: May 02, 2021, 09:16:28 PM »
Probably most tremolo harmonica players have wondered about the other dual reed harp,  the octave. Back in February a friend gave me a brand new octave harp in G. After 2 months playing I liked it enough to buy another in C. My reviews and some sound samples are in this play list.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJ1G4oHit4xhsBkYVTganjO7Dd-TiJDHU
It plays the same as a tremolo but with a totally different sound.

Offline GregH

• Chrome-Tributor
  • Irish music player from Calgary Canada.
« Reply #421 on: June 15, 2021, 07:41:14 PM »
It plays the same as a tremolo but with a totally different sound.

I've got the Seydel "Club" Oktav in D, and it's pretty great. I think it's the same layout as a chromatic in orchestra tuning(?). The octave is below the note, so it's got a nice fat sound - it's like having an accordion in your mouth.

Offline Corinto

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #422 on: June 19, 2021, 06:50:29 AM »
My SEYDEL CLUB octave tuning goes always with me and I really like it's sound. Also have a custom SEYDEL FANFARE octave tuned, both in C, and two SEYDEL FANFARE tremolos in C and G, different sound but all of them great sounds!
Carpe diem, C.

Offline beads

• Chrome-Meister
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #423 on: June 29, 2021, 10:46:27 AM »
Found a new old stock Echo Harp at a music store.  This key combination hasn't been made in years.

Offline Keith

• HELPER
  • MasterMeister
« Reply #424 on: June 29, 2021, 01:38:03 PM »
Only ever thought they were made in C/G, that's a great find. :)

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #425 on: June 29, 2021, 01:55:01 PM »
Thanx Beads!
Maybe it's just me; but Beads kinda reminds me of Rich Little. :)

Offline beads

• Chrome-Meister
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #426 on: June 29, 2021, 02:08:53 PM »
Thanx Beads!
Maybe it's just me; but Beads kinda reminds me of Rich Little. :)
Ha! Rich has been impersonating me for years. :)
I think he is quite a bit older than me. You guys can call me Rex if you want. Beads was a rather silly name to make up when I joined all those years ago. Or you all can keep calling me beads. It doesn't matter.
By the way, they have more old Hohner stock that is new. Even chromatics. You can get a new old 260 from there. Here is a link to the tremolo stuff:
http://www.newarkmusical.com/index.php?cPath=37_249&osCsid=898eba31839f9ef8d9dbcddb91c7c795
I just ordered a G Echo from them. Their site is weird. I comes up unsecure but each time I ordered it went to secure pages.
I talked to them on the phone. They said they used to be a distributor and that is how they wound up with a lot of unsold stock.
This harp came with the original paper wrapped around it that said to contact the office in Virginia for all warrenty work. They haven't been in Virginia for years. 

Offline Dream Yu

• Baby Button Pusher
    • Easttop website
« Reply #427 on: September 14, 2021, 12:37:35 AM »
Interesting
I thought Asian play the tremolo, now i found this Tremolo Fan Club, i know the harmonica lovers all over the world not only diatonic and chromatic but also tremolo.
Very nice.

Offline BigDogDaddyD

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • AKA "Marc"
« Reply #428 on: September 18, 2021, 09:03:32 PM »
Keith...  Been following your tremolo thread since you started it, but never really had a reason to post.  I have quite a few tremolos, mostly all pre war.  Love to play and work on them.  And I think I finally have a good enough reason to annoy you nice folks with one of my posts.  I finally stumbled upon an old Hohner Trumpet Call tremolo at a reasonable price, circa early 20th century.  Thought I'd share some of the tear down pics with everyone.  I thought the Trumpet Call was just another old 10-hole 20 reed tremolo with a little wooden box and some brass window dressing applied.  I was right about the wooden box and brass window dressing, but I was wrong about it being a simple 10 note tremolo.  When I got it apart, I was pleasantly surprised that it's a leather valved 40 reed tremolo.  The comb and reed plates look very much like a Hohner Auto-Valve-Harp, with a blow and draw reed sharing each chamber... much like a chromatic.  Richter octave tuned in the key of D.  Lowest note on the left is Low D (D3), with D4 directly below it.  As most people have probably guessed, the brass trumpets don't really do a thing for sound quality or projection.  But when playing the harp without them, it sounds really deep and pleasant going through the little wood box.  Nice resonance.  So here it is in it's first stage of tear down.  Now I'm wondering if there's any difference between the red box Trumpet Call, and the golden wheat colored ones?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 09:26:14 PM by BigDogDaddyD »
Never give up.  Never surrender.

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #429 on: September 18, 2021, 09:08:32 PM »
Wow! Valves? Who-da-thunk it?
How 'bout you play a little something for us when you finish it? :)
Offline Keith

• HELPER
  • MasterMeister
« Reply #430 on: Yesterday at 04:40:44 AM »
I've seen pictures of those, but thought they were only to be found in museums, so yeah, if you can give us a tune on it once it's refurbed, that'd be great.

Re the valves, that's tough luck, I like my tremolos because they don't have valves; just like my liking of valveless chromatics - of course, having valves allows for some extra nauances though.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:47:02 AM by Keith »

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #431 on: Yesterday at 12:54:31 PM »
It'll probably be hard to find replacement leather valves but modern valves should work just as well, eh?

Offline BigDogDaddyD

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • AKA "Marc"
« Reply #432 on: Yesterday at 04:45:30 PM »
When I rework an old harp that originally came with leather valves, I like to replace them with real leather.  I buy leather lacing from Tandy Leather.  They are 1/8" wide.  I run them through a lace maker to thin them down to about 1-1.5mm.  Then they get a good soaking in Scotchgard water seal.  Let them vent and dry out for several days in a sunny spot, then glue them on with hide glue.  Occasionally I have to use the 'cat whisker' trick from an old horse hair paint brush to give them a little more support...learned this trick from the old pros here at SlideMeister.  More work than using the newer valves (which I really like), but it keeps them more original I think.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:51:08 PM by BigDogDaddyD »
Never give up.  Never surrender.