Author Topic: Quick thought (sharing a secret- actually)  (Read 1302 times)

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
Quick thought (sharing a secret- actually)
« on: March 12, 2021, 02:03:54 PM »
I just thought (for what it's worth) "Midnight Sun" in all keys, is probably one of the better ways I've found to get familiar, yea intimate  ;) with your Chromatic, without playing those annoying scales like a six-year old, sitting on a stool. :P

It's a whole lot more fun, and it hides the drudgery/work and mundane "mechanics" of scales. It also allows (even encourages) you to incorporate some phrasing and tonal practice along with the scales you're learning. It's a win-win. Works for me anyway. ;D

When I get to where I can slide through that number in all 12 keys without even thinking about it, I'll be ready for my next challenge: "Take over the world, of course"

@ge ><((((º>
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 02:17:31 PM by Age »

Offline brorat

• Chrome-Minator
Re: Quick thought (sharing a secret- actually)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 02:43:18 PM »
I just thought (for what it's worth) "Midnight Sun" in all keys, is probably one of the better ways I've found to get familiar, yea intimate  ;) with your Chromatic, without playing those annoying scales like a six-year old, sitting on a stool. :P

It's a whole lot more fun, and it hides the drudgery/work and mundane "mechanics" of scales. It also allows (even encourages) you to incorporate some phrasing and tonal practice along with the scales you're learning. It's a win-win. Works for me anyway. ;D

When I get to where I can slide through that number in all 12 keys without even thinking about it, I'll be ready for my next challenge: "Take over the world, of course"

@ge ><((((º>

Sounds like a fun thing to try, Age.  I've heard the song (Ella and Nancy Wilson), but I certainly don't know it "by heart"!  Do you have a link for a backing track?
“Just here to harp on chromatics!”

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 06:03:37 PM »
There’s a version for iRealPro—it’s in the Jazz 1300 folder.

Online John Broecker

• Rudimentary Technologist (Drummer)
  • MonsterMeister
  • JB & Hohner Trumpet Call
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 07:20:03 PM »
Also try Happy Birthday to You,
by Patty and Mildred Hill (1893,
copyrighted 1935).

Play it in all 12 major keys on one slide
chromatic harp. It's easy enough, short
enough, and the tune is universal.

You know this tune, even before you
play it.

Best Regards, Stay Healthy

JB
Never tap-dance on a shark's tail. The best thing about ice cream, is that ice cream has no bones.

Offline Joseph

• Useless Tree
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • Hermit in the Mountains
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 07:28:27 PM »
I have been practicing this approach using the tune Puff the Magic Dragon myself.  My family likes it, it's not overly long, and it covers the diatonic notes in a roughly one octave range well.

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 07:56:52 PM »
There’s a version for iRealPro—it’s in the Jazz 1300 folder.

Yep. Can those iReal files be converted to midis?

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 08:02:49 PM »
Also try Happy Birthday to You,
by Patty and Mildred Hill (1893,
copyrighted 1935).

Play it in all 12 major keys on one slide
chromatic harp. It's easy enough, short
enough, and the tune is universal.

You know this tune, even before you
play it.

JB

Yeah, John,
You can use just about any number and play it in all keys, but I especially like "Midnight Sun" cuz it has all those rotating half steps in there.   :)

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 12:42:17 AM »
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 09:19:22 AM by Gnarly He Man »

Offline kvanbael

• Chrome-Minator
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 02:47:16 AM »
Surely. IRealPro can export to midi. Tap the share button, choose audio, choose MIDI.

Offline vid wes

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 12:42:28 PM »
Midnight Sun is a great tune and a great choice for that type of practice.  Lots of interesting chromatic phrases and sequences. Also some good melodic leaps.
Harmonically it moves through quite a few tonal centers. I'm just looking at in now in RB3.  It starts in C Maj, goes into Bb Maj, next to Ab Maj, then there is a 2-5 of Gb Maj but resolves back to C Maj.  Brilliant so far but it gets even cooler.  The bridge starts in E Maj, goes to D Maj, the back to C for the final A section.  That is 6 or 7 different tonal centers depending how you count it.  Very cool tune.

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 02:58:53 PM »
Yeah, I didn't know any of that stuff, :-[ but I know it jumps all over the place, and when you can play that number in every key, you should pretty much be on your way, eh?

Offline brorat

• Chrome-Minator
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 03:05:43 PM »
Having listened carefully to Midnight Sun, I have made the decision to practice different keys with "Happy Birthday" ;)
Seriously, I think I'll do better starting with a tune I'm familiar with.  Don't know Midnight Sun, so I'd have to learn it first.
As an aside:  As I've been working on some tunes (and scales) in keys other than C maj, I'm finding that it seems my "ear" is improving!  Truth be known, I'm playing pretty much completely by ear to begin with.  What I'm finding is that, if I pay close attention, I'm beginning to "hear" a note or two ahead, and I can sorta "feel" the interval coming up that will require a push of the button.
Does that make any sense?  Or, am I just whack ... as my grandson says!
“Just here to harp on chromatics!”

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 03:26:38 PM »
"What I'm finding is that, if I pay close attention, I'm beginning to "hear" a note or two ahead, and I can sorta "feel" the interval coming up that will require a push of the button.
Does that make any sense?"

That's exactly the way it works, Bro!! It's a real treat, ain't it?  In a little while, you'll graduate up to Midnight Sun and it'll be a treat all over again.   8) 8)

Online John Broecker

• Rudimentary Technologist (Drummer)
  • MonsterMeister
  • JB & Hohner Trumpet Call
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2021, 06:25:32 PM »
Hello, Brorat.

contact me at:

broeckerjohn20@gmail.com

I'll send a chart with 10 major keys, (no
key of C or C#/Db), playable on one harp,
for the tune, Happy Birthday..., written in
traditional music notation and harmonica
tablature.

Keys C and C#/Db aren't included in the
one-page chart. You probably know the
tune in C, and C# is easy peezy, lemon
squeezy.

This tune was the subject of a SPAH seminar,
given by Darryl Williams at the Holiday Inn,
Worthington Ohio, August 16th, 2002.

I'll need your postal address. Please include
it in the email.

JB
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 03:26:16 PM by John Broecker »
Never tap-dance on a shark's tail. The best thing about ice cream, is that ice cream has no bones.

Offline streetlegal

• MasterMeister
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 05:52:27 AM »
I have been practicing this approach using the tune Puff the Magic Dragon myself.  My family likes it, it's not overly long, and it covers the diatonic notes in a roughly one octave range well.

Nice choice - but I wouldn't be able to get through that particular song without crying my eyes out.

Offline Wendellfiddler

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
    • Gypsy Wranglers
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 10:23:16 AM »
I've been using "Cherokee" for that.  I do have charts in all 12 keys.  Reading in F# or Gb is really weird.  Otherwise, great fun.

doug tanner
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rollez

Offline Elaphe

• Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 07:58:21 PM »
Midnight Sun is a song I hadn't heard often before but is beautiful and gets familiar quickly.
Thanks for the suggestion Age, I will definitely follow the advice and get down to it!

Offline Tallships

• Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2021, 07:34:38 AM »
I haven't tried "Midnight Sun" but I will be. One of the songs that is easy to ply and in diferent keys is "The Rose", one of my wife's favorite songs

Offline RichChrome

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2021, 12:55:03 PM »
Here's a song that modulates five times, "Mack the Knife" when Bobby Darrin sang it he started in Bb, modulated to B, C, Db, D, Eb, E. This song has also been recorded by a number of people using multiple modulations. It's a neat song to play, but I just don't like those sharp keys.

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 01:27:39 PM »
Early Autumn's another one :)

Offline Paulc

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2021, 12:06:07 PM »
Being a relative novice in music theory, the idea of switching keys for a piece is quite foreign! However, just created a transposition chart and played Abide With Me in 4 keys, C, G, A and Bb.

Just how quickly do you more experienced guys switch keys, can you do it on the fly or do you have to work it out first?
One day I’ll be able to bend a note 😀

Offline Joe Phillips

• Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2021, 11:25:56 PM »

@ge ><((((º>

Wow Age, great tune, great idea. I got a copy after reading your post and I'm learning it in the  published key first. After running through it, I see the wisdom of playing in other keys as an exercise. The descending chromatic passages would really keep you on your toes, once you move it out of the memorized key. Thanks for suggesting it.

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2021, 12:12:48 AM »
I've been fooling with it for a couple years on and off, and I still think its the best (and funnest) way to play scales.

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 12:17:08 AM »
And if you use the iReal Pro version like Gnarley says, it's pretty cool, but slow it way down to 80 bpm or lower or you'll have a stroke trying to keep up with the 145 bpm that it comes through at. :o

Offline melancholy

• Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2021, 12:57:57 PM »
Right up my alley. Thanks

Offline RichChrome

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2021, 10:01:53 AM »
It sounds like a tricky piece of music, I think I will have to get the lead sheet for this one, should be fun so we'll see how it goes.

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2021, 11:42:09 AM »
That's the trick. The "chart part" will always work, but this is the kind of exercise that will get you a mouth full of "tactile familiarity," which is what we really need if we wanna kick our brains outta gear and just groove. 8) Think about it ;)

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2021, 07:03:50 PM »
"What I'm finding is that, if I pay close attention, I'm beginning to "hear" a note or two ahead, and I can sorta "feel" the interval coming up that will require a push of the button.
Does that make any sense?"

THAT is 'playing by ear'. When you're finally confident about 'hearing' a note (or six) ahead and know for sure exactly
when you hit the intervals so push the button automatically because your brain 'just knows' then you're completely there. :)
And it isn't whack.

Another way I do it since I don't think in terms of intervals or notes, is to listen to the song being sung (or the instrumental being played) in my head, and simply play along by allowing my brain and hands to do their thing. I listen to music incessantly and I suppose I've learned the songs I love by heart, including the pauses, rhythm and timing. Playing those I love does require mental concentration of course - which is why I usually close my eyes when I play. I absolutely couldn't play at all if I had to focus on pushing the button 'now', or thinking of what note lives where or when an interval is coming up, etc. It all has to become ingrained and just flow naturally. I'd guess 90% of by-ear playing takes place subconsciously?

scotty

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2021, 07:38:18 PM »
Yeah, Scotty!  And ain't it a hoot when it starts to happen? After a while the button just starts moving in and out, under your finger automatically, and it makes ya smile while you're playing. 8)

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2021, 07:54:31 PM »
Yeah, Scotty!  And ain't it a hoot when it starts to happen? After a while the button just starts moving in and out, under your finger automatically, and it makes ya smile while you're playing. 8)

Oh, I'm not even on the same Planet as you when it comes to accidentals and 'trills' and things - don't use the button a
fraction as often as you, but yeah....it comes easily since it's happening so naturally. YOU add those other 'extras' because you're a special player. I know I'll never be a good jazz player - but that's ok. I'm happy playing my ballads and melodies.
 :)

scotty