Author Topic: What kind of vibrato is this?  (Read 328 times)

Offline Gene Oh

• Chrome-Tributor
What kind of vibrato is this?
« on: September 12, 2021, 12:15:47 AM »

I want to know:
1) What kind of vibrato is this?
2) And how do you like this type of sound?
3) How, do you think, is the saxophone-like sound made?

Gene from NZ

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
Re: What kind of vibrato is this?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 12:31:23 AM »
Sounds like a regular breath (diaphragm) vibrato to me
I liked it a lot better than most of the "ya-ya" vibrato's I've heard  ;)
~I~ didn't hear anything that sounded particularly sax'esque to me, bro :-\

Online nadlerus

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • Neil Adler Piano and Chromatic Harmonica
    • neiladlerpiano.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 01:59:41 AM »
I call that a pulsed slow tremolo at the end of a phrase, best done by tongue alone.
I basically like and partially use this tremolo, but heavy reverb negates any qualitative assessment.
 Neil Adler
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 12:32:14 PM by nadlerus »
neiladlerpiano.com

Offline Keith

• HELPER
  • MasterMeister
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 03:40:54 AM »
Sorry, I don't hear anything remotely like a sax, just a tune played in the lower octaves of a 64 mainly.

Offline brorat

• Chrome-Minator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 08:45:24 AM »
I’ve listened carefully. A few times I heard air being forced prior to hearing the sound of the reed. I’ve noted this same sound when listening to some sax music. I know nothing about the sax but I do understand a bit about the chromatic harmonica. This forced air followed by the intended note could be caused by a few things. Harp not very air tight. Improper embouchure. There may be others. This air sound MAY be what you equate with a sax. Otherwise, I didn’t hear a sax.
“Just here to harp on chromatics!”

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 10:35:09 AM »
I can do it with just lung control

Offline Grizzly

• MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 11:37:13 AM »
The "best" vibrato technique should be indistinguishable from other techniques. IMO. It's hard for me to distinguish this one.

Tom
working on my second 10,000!

Offline Gene Oh

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 06:36:06 PM »
Hi my respected SlideMeisters who answered my question,

Many, many thanks again for your kind inputs. I appreciate all of your valuable feedbacks. Hopefully, I may be able to obtain the enviable technique (a beautiful vibrato) in the future.

Gene

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 10:27:52 PM »
Don't force it; Just keep playing bro, and you'll find that you just sorta "move into" one after a while, and that'll be yours. 8)

Offline ejacob4

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 03:40:06 PM »
Sounds like throat vibrato to me. The player adjusts speed and changes expression really easily. I do not know anything about diaphragm vibrato. I do hear a lot of air, but don’t know what that implies.

For sure not hand in my book.

Good news: this forum has a lot of folks discussing vibrato. One word in the search bar and you win.

Best regards,
Ed

Offline carlrosetti

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 07:19:05 AM »
Speaking of vibratos-IMHO some of the best were Richard Hayman;Leo Diamond;Mildred Mulcay;Bob McFarlane.  They used the throat vibrato and they got so much expression in their playing.  This sounds to me like a diaphragm vibrato.  It sounds nice;not choppy.

Offline A.J. Fedor

• A.J.Fedor
  • Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 03:14:54 PM »
Yeah, I think "Spanky" has'em all beat. The guy's a phenomenon.  Ever see him play a whole number using a .444 along with a backup track that's like .335? The guy scares me! :o

Offline OhioMusicalSawMan

• Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 04:54:07 PM »
By making a trembling motion with one's lip while playing?? I'm guessing this is one way, and this is based on being a trumpet player who has played trumpet for 40 years, but have just started playing Chromatic harp this winter. Brass players obtain the most beautiful and pure vibrato with our embouchere, through a subtle lip movement. My inclination on harp is to do the same, and the vibrato I'm getting is similar to what we hear in this video.

Offline BeauKim

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 05:38:28 PM »
It's a very light throat tremolo, not 'vibrato' since it's only the volume (tremolo) being changed and not the pitch (vibrato).  Maybe it could be done from only from the abdominal muscles but otherwise I'd call this a tremolo or maybe to confuse people less a very light vibrato.  Often people will say, "breathe from the 'diaphragm'," though that's the incorrect term for this (I could go into it but it would be about two paragraphs long.).  It totally fits this style of song but would be too light for others.  Vibrato can and should be varied in speed and pitch depth. 

When it's done more intensely (not speed but actual intensity of the variance of the breath and glottis) you'll likely to get some noticeable pitch variance which would make it vibrato.  Players that Carl just mentioned, like Leo Diamond and Richard Hayman, would be closer to the heavier side of acceptable to listeners of vibrato.  It's a great sound, but otherwise not the best choice for every style.  I'm helping one of my students right now learn how to get throat vibrato and it's going well!

-Boaz

Offline carlrosetti

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 08:44:14 AM »
Pursing your lips and opening and closing is another effective vibrato technique I saw Stevie Wonder do on a video of him.  They showed him from a side view and I saw him pursing and unpursing his lips slightly to get his vibrato.  I tried it and it does work.  Also;taking the harp and slightly shaking it with a tight lip grip will give you a vibrato sound.   Its really all about the sound of the music--how you want it to be.  There is no wrong technique--if it comes out sweetly;then its right. Expression is the key IMHO.

Offline The Lone Harper

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
  • New Chromatic Player
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 09:19:25 AM »
I attempted to ask the player what type of vibrato they were using. Using Google translate this is how the discussion went:

Me Can you please tell me what kind of vibrato you are using? 
       어떤 종류의 비브라토를 사용하고 있는지 알려주실 수 있습니까?

임지수하모니카 I did a single (double) vibrato. Thank you for your interest.
                              단전(복식)비브라토를 했습니다.  관심 감사합니다

Me Throat vibrato? Diaphragm Vibrato? Tongue vibrato?
                                      목의 진동? 다이어프램 진동? 혀 진동?

임지수하모니카 the vibration of the ship. hehe
                               배의 진동이요.

Make of that what you will, but I felt that she was creating her vibrato by moving the instrument and I'm guessing that is what she is alluding to by 'the vibration of the ship'.
"Hi ho, Silver Concerto! Away!"

Offline Gene Oh

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 01:15:38 PM »
I read Korean and the Google translation is incorrect. The correct translation of 단전(복식)비브라토를 했습니다.  관심 감사합니다: "I used a Diaphragm (Abdominal) vibrato. Thank you for your interest." The correct translation of 배의 진동이요: "It is an abdominal vibration". 배 in Korean has dual meaning: "belly(tummy)" or "ship".

I think that Age's understanding was correct.
Gene
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 01:19:54 PM by Gene Oh »

Offline The Lone Harper

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
  • New Chromatic Player
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 11:41:40 PM »
I read Korean and the Google translation is incorrect. The correct translation of 단전(복식)비브라토를 했습니다.  관심 감사합니다: "I used a Diaphragm (Abdominal) vibrato. Thank you for your interest." The correct translation of 배의 진동이요: "It is an abdominal vibration". 배 in Korean has dual meaning: "belly(tummy)" or "ship".

I think that Age's understanding was correct.
Gene

Thank you for clarifying this.
"Hi ho, Silver Concerto! Away!"