Author Topic: Anyone submit a piece for ICCCH?  (Read 153 times)

Offline Aramis

• Chrome-Tributor
Anyone submit a piece for ICCCH?
« on: September 19, 2021, 10:12:09 PM »
Hello guys, I'm wondering if anybody else submitted a piece to the Hong Kong harmonica association, chromatic harmonica composition competition?
I'm interested to see what others submitted, here is a link to mine: https://musescore.com/user/35569829/scores/7007088/s/2Mlfk2?share=copy_link
I only ask that you don't share or perform it publicly untill after the results have been posted, though if someone can play the second movement I will be very impressed!
I also have performer's notes so if you would like to practice this piece, and are confused by some of the notation conventions I use, I can provide those as well!
I would love to see what you guys have done!

Offline Grizzly

• MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
Re: Anyone submit a piece for ICCCH?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 11:39:49 PM »
Impressive! If that's the level that they expect, my efforts (for flute, but playable on harmonica) are paltry by comparison. And certainly not as contemporary as yours.

Do they want duets? Here's one, if I can get it to load.

Tom

working on my second 10,000!

Offline Eugene Ryan

• Chrome-Minator
    • Eugene Ryan, harmonica
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 10:12:20 AM »
Hey Aramis,

Well done on your piece. Very nice composition and very well written out.  I was wondering if you wrote the chromatic part at the piano or on chromatic?

Thanks,
Eugene

Offline Aramis

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 10:21:13 AM »
it's all written on chromatic, you'll find most of the fast lines have been optimized for the instrument (as long as you use the proper enharmonics) all the trills are slide trills. The second movement will take a few months of practice for me but most of it is pretty achievable the notes in brackets are optional depending on your mouth size. But I was able to play all of the piano and harmonica parts (not all at speed) obviously the performance shouldn't sound the same as the midi simply because the articulation is very harsh with the midi.

Also unfortunately the submission deadline was last Wednesday I think.
(that's a very fun flute piece!)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 10:29:19 AM by Aramis »

Offline Grizzly

• MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 01:10:03 PM »
(that's a very fun flute piece!)

Thanks! All done on MuseScore. No flutes or pianos harmed in the process. Well…all done in my head ("extracted from The Ether") with me as scribe. ;)

Tom

Offline Aramis

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 01:59:55 PM »
now if musescore could automatically generate harmonica tabs we might have everyone using it, it's pretty amazing for something that's free!

Offline Rechmbrs

• HELPER
  • Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 05:02:10 PM »
now if musescore could automatically generate harmonica tabs we might have everyone using it, it's pretty amazing for something that's free!

MuseScore will do tabs for many harmonicas with 12 or less holes.  The 16 hole chromatic doesn't work correctly.  This has been reported a number of times to those who upkeep the software.  See attached png file for running MuseScore and go to https://musescore.org/en/project/harmonica-tablature-harp to install the plugin necessary to do the tabs.  Notice the note heads contain the note name.  Another neat and free feature.

RONC
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 05:09:02 PM by Rechmbrs »

Offline Grizzly

• MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 06:02:23 PM »
Kewl! And what a great tool for learning standard notation.

How does it show sharp and flat notes (slide in)? And can it be edited to show alternate slide/breaths? Do you enter standard notation and the plugin converts it, or can you create original tabs that then show up with the standard notation? Can tabs be played back to listen to? Those would be important things to know before installing.

BTW, I have no personal use for it, but might consider it if I wanted to make my compositions available to harmonica tab readers. I really like the fact that the plugin includes the rhythm so people can study and learn it.

Tom

Offline Rechmbrs

• HELPER
  • Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 07:16:46 PM »
Kewl! And what a great tool for learning standard notation.

How does it show sharp and flat notes (slide in)? And can it be edited to show alternate slide/breaths? Do you enter standard notation and the plugin converts it, or can you create original tabs that then show up with the standard notation? Can tabs be played back to listen to? Those would be important things to know before installing.

BTW, I have no personal use for it, but might consider it if I wanted to make my compositions available to harmonica tab readers. I really like the fact that the plugin includes the rhythm so people can study and learn it.

Tom

I use the piano keyboard option to input the notes.  The program then converts that to midi info and the plugin I discussed translates to harmonica tabs.  This is a very well designed and written program.  The outputs are numerous - midi, mp3, png, svg, .....  The display of the sheet music is first class.  Only problem I've seen with the display is note spacing makes for fewer notes per line some times.

I'm a player not a composer or conductor so I'm sure I've seen only a small part of the possible usage.  It runs on PC, MAC, Android, iPad/iPhone....

Plenty of documentation if you want to search for something.

RONC

Offline Rechmbrs

• HELPER
  • Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 08:03:51 PM »
Tom,

Tabs as input to a program is a problem as the note duration and level are missing for every note.  When using the piano input, you must also chose the note duration and level for the sheet music to really playable.  Key signature and time signature must be input and is not available with tabs.

MuseScore is little different from using paper and pencil to write music.  You can do all of the copy/paste etc, things.  I was showing one of my granddaughters a 12 bars blues and we were able to key in the first measure and then copy once and paste to the other measures very easily.  We did it all in less than 10 mins with noteheads showing the note name and she made a bass clef for the double bass which she is learning.  She already plays piano and uke.

During the whole procedure, we listened to the midi play the 12 bars with a 12 hole Chrom and then added the double bass.

RONC
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 08:07:07 PM by Rechmbrs »

Offline Aramis

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 07:18:58 AM »

MuseScore will do tabs for many harmonicas with 12 or less holes.  The 16 hole chromatic doesn't work correctly.  This has been reported a number of times to those who upkeep the software.  See attached png file for running MuseScore and go to https://musescore.org/en/project/harmonica-tablature-harp to install the plugin necessary to do the tabs.  Notice the note heads contain the note name.  Another neat and free feature.

RONC

that's insane, I never even knew that!!!!