Author Topic: Lockjaw Larry's compressed felt valve  (Read 741 times)

Offline Ed McCullough

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
Lockjaw Larry's compressed felt valve
« on: April 10, 2023, 01:42:35 AM »
His compressed felt valve took care of a situation that no other valve took care of.

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
Re: Lockjaw Larry's compressed felt valve
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 10:44:10 AM »
Well then he should make more of them!

Offline brorat

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 01:38:38 PM »
OK, Larry.  Looks like a great side hustle!
I'd be willing to consider a purchase if you have them available!
????$$$???
“Just here to harp on chromatics!”

Offline Age

• A.J.Fedor
  • HELPER
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º> (member since 9/1/22)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 05:40:41 PM »
I always thought the old Hohner 64 leather valves were kinda cool. :) (till they turned black and shriveled up. ;))
Retired Champion Thread Starter 😎

Offline Lockjaw Larry

• Lockjaw Larry ♪♪ Breathing Music daily ♬
  • V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 09:08:56 PM »
Friends, I have never asked money for my hobbies and am willing to freely share for personal use.  The raw materials are inexpensive.  The time I devote to making valves is in my free time, thus it’s free.  Feel free to contact me with your needs and I’ll see if I can accommodate.

I make 3 and 4 mil thick special plastic valves with a surface tension reducer covering on one side.  The 4 mil works best for me because it is a little stiffer than the 3 mil.  I slice them 1/8” on my wife’s fabric rotary slicer.  Each valve is trimmed to length during installation.

I make thin ultra suede valves using a method suggested by Walley and modified by myself for “ water proofing”.  They are also 1/8” and are cut to length during installation.  These seem to slightly muffle the tone, which I like a lot.  I do not recall ever having issues with any of these and have played in my cold studio without sticking issues.  YRMV

I have also hand cut both kinds to less than 1/8” using my understanding wife’s rotary cutter.  It’s more fiddley but not difficult to slice to desired width.

I haven’t bothered trying to make two layer valves but may give it a go some day just for giggles.

I am not in competition with anyone and thus far have only shared a few to some friends. 
Be fair, be square and obey the rules of the pack.

Offline streetlegal

• MasterMeister
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 05:48:56 AM »
Sell a harmonica player a new valve and he will be content for a few weeks. Teach a harmonica player to make his own valves and he will consider himself to be a craftsman 8).