Author Topic: Member Profile Access  (Read 1186 times)

jpkelly

Member Profile Access
« on: June 12, 2014, 10:10:16 AM »
Now that I'm feeling more "at home" here I was poking around, trying to snoop at some members profiles. I was thwarted, however, receiving that dreaded error message: "An Error Has Occured!",
"You are not allowed to access this section". Is this just because of my Baby Button Pusher status? Or maybe I've been discovered as the harmonica pariah that I am....

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
Re: Member Profile Access
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 01:03:49 PM »
"Permissions" (as they are called in "forum-speak") increase with the your group/position; Baby Button Pusher of course, being the first. For the record, although we have about 450 regular members, over 300 are Baby Button Pushers. As your number of posts increase, so does your designation. As your designation increases, so do your permissions. I suppose I could take some time and make up a chart of how the permissions increase with the designations,  . . . on second thought,  Nah! I ain't gunna do that! That would be a real pain in the shorts. Just hafta trust me, I guess. ::)

42   Applicants  0  post requirement
305 Baby Button Pushers       15   post requirement
(I award new members 15 posting credits for their introduction)
69   ChomeTributors             100   post requirement
15   ChromeMinators            500   post requirement
18   ChromeMeisters           1000   post requirement
1     MasterMeister              3000   post requirement
3     MonsterMeisters          5000   post requirement

The only way around the "designations" ladder is to be a supporter of some sort. (you can find all that stuff on the support page of the main site)

SM
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 09:15:54 PM by Age »

Offline Lockjaw Larry

• Lockjaw Larry ♪♪ Breathing Music daily ♬
  • V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 05:20:34 PM »
Well AJ, you must be a quadramastermeister in addition to being a masterfriend and comradmeister. ::)
Be fair, be square and obey the rules of the pack.

jpkelly

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 11:27:42 AM »
Got it. Sounds like a good investment to me. Done! Thanks. :)

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »
Now that I'm feeling more "at home" here I was poking around, trying to snoop at some members profiles. I was thwarted, however, receiving that dreaded error message: "An Error Has Occured!",
"You are not allowed to access this section". Is this just because of my Baby Button Pusher status? Or maybe I've been discovered as the harmonica pariah that I am....

hehe--Every so often when I was ready to send in a post I'd taken my time over (perhaps even gone off to feed the cats or do a wash or got distracted, I'd hit send and get that very same 'error' message because I don't sign in for very long at one time. And I'VE been here for quite a while and am far past being a Baby Button Poster.

Just keep posting--OR, send in a few bucks to help AJ keep the site up and running (believe me, it's an expensive proposition that he's taken on--and he does it all on his own and is not a wealthy man by any means). In fact I just sent another donation because I sensed he needed it--even though I'm already a charter member. It doesn't 'buy' me any status over anyone else (although AJ tries to give those of us who do--some recognition)--other than the knowledge that he'll stay solvent a bit longer and this most marvelous site will remain around for me after another of my rather lengthy not-to-be-helped absences. This is always 'home' when I return and with more new members such as you to interact with.

You can't really buy that feeling (but wee donations DO help!) haha

:)

Elizabeth (a/k/a Scotty)

Welcome, btw, if I missed you before.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 04:42:06 PM »
Got it. Sounds like a good investment to me. Done! Thanks. :)

I didn't see this post of yours, nor Larry's--when I just wrote the other post. Mea culpa. So..first, thanks! Secondly--you won't regret belonging to such a great site. :)

Elizabeth (a/k/a Scotty)

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 09:37:05 PM »
Henceforth and forever, ;) the Personal Messaging will remain a premium feature. As I explained before, as the owner of the forum, ~I~ would get up to 6 or 7 "personal messages" per week, That were meant for someone else BECAUSE folks don't read the Personal message notification email that says:

"You have just been sent a personal message by (someone) on SlideMeister Forum.

IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.

Reply to this Personal Message here: http://www.SlideMeister.com/yada yada yada"

When members don't follow those instructions, and just hit "reply," guess who gets their private message? Right! I do. :( Guess how often they don't follow those directions? An average of one every day.:( Now I don't wanna read other members' messages, and yet I don't wanna let the sender think they were being "blown off" by the receiver, Sooooo, I write the sender a letter explaining all this. Without exaggeration, I've probably written a thousand of those letters, and quite frankly, I think I'm done.  8)  By limiting the PM feature to a select group, the personal messaging still goes on, but at least ~I~ don't have that problem any more. ;D (At least not on that scope ;D)

SlideMeister
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 12:48:37 AM by A.J. Fedor »

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 10:48:01 PM »
D'Ohh! Thanx for bringing that to my attention, J.P. My bad! :-[

ChromTributors (100 posts) and up, should be able to view profiles; I fixed it.  :) However, henceforth and forever, the Personal Messaging will remain a premium feature. As I explained before, as the owner of the forum, ~I~ would get up to 6 or 7 "personal messages" per week, That were meant for someone else BECAUSE folks don't read the Personal message notification email that says:

"You have just been sent a personal message by (someone) on SlideMeister Forum.

IMPORTANT: Remember, this is just a notification. Please do not reply to this email.

Reply to this Personal Message here: http://www.SlideMeister.com/yada yada yada"

When members don't follow those instructions, and just hit "reply," guess who gets their private message? I do. Guess how often they don't follow those directions? An average of one every day. Now I don't wanna read other members' messages, and yet I don't wanna let the sender think they were being "blown off" by the receiver, Sooooo, I write the receiver a letter explaining all this. Without exaggeration, I've probably written a thousand of those letters, and quite frankly, I think I'm done.  8)  By limiting the PM feature to a select group, the personal messaging still goes on, but I don't have that problem any more. ;D

Again, ANYONE can receive a personal message, but only Charter Members, VIP's and SUPPORTERS can send them. Email accessability to each and every member is provided for anyone, "Baby Button Pusher" of better; just click the little envelope on the left under the members mug shot or whatever, and the system takes it from there. (if you hide your email address in your profile, other members can't contact you - and you're on your own) :P

SlideMeister

Just as a matter of course I decided fairly early on NEVER to hit 'reply' when on a blog or forum. It seemed logical since the risk of error is high. I only ever 'reply' or respond to personal emails from family or very close friends--and even then I scan the email and THEN hit respond--which puts their message into a new 'write mail' for me to add something to--it still doesn't get sent until I'm ready. Err on the side of caution when it comes to email and far fewer problems arise. I made too many mistakes early on--so now am excessively cautious.

I had been curious as to why only us privileged few were able to now suddenly get PM's but I've read your complaints before about those who continue to ignore the instructions. I'd sure as heck hate having to fix that kind of mistake every day over and over as you've had to. I get far too many emails of my OWN as it is.

Your site, your call. And that's how it should be. :)

Elizabeth (a/k/a Scotty)
PS: Anyone here can email me about anything I've written on SlideMeister or just to talk. I believe my email is shown beneath my name?

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 09:53:56 AM »
Hiya Joe--welcome to a great place for slide harp players!

Offline smojoe

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • virgo
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 12:26:45 PM »

I may be a little crazy here, but 'I' would prefer anyone sending me a message to send it to:  3N037@comcast.net. (that's a zero not an O). And trust me, it's not because I'm worried about someone reading my mail. Since I actually use my real name. Joe Leone (Aka smokey-joe, aka smo-joe). Of course if someone doesn't want me to know their name, or address, I understand.