Author Topic: Saxony fan club  (Read 30959 times)

mandrew

Saxony fan club
« on: April 02, 2017, 04:19:46 PM »
I did a search and didn't find this topic, so here it goes . . . Chime in on your experiences with the Seydel Saxony!

Mick

Re: Saxony fan club
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 01:01:33 AM »
Well i seem to be joining every fan club LOL! But the saxony Orchestra is a nice unit. compact size, very useful range, air tight and i like the clean, clear sound right to the top of its range, which takes very little air to activate. I have the nice Matt covers.  :)

Offline Keith

• MasterMeister
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 03:20:11 AM »
I have a nice pair of CX12s, but I'm still looking at maybe getting an Orchestra tuned, & I liked the steel reeds on my diatonic Orchestra S, so I may join you one day.  ;)

Jessica

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 04:34:31 AM »
Can the Deluxe Steel be included here too, being positioned by Seydel as the little sister of the Saxony?

Thomas Wiedemeier

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:05:30 AM »
Count me in. I love my Saxonette

Thomas

Maynard

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 06:36:51 AM »
Can I join the club even though I don't have one ? Or is this like a Harley Davidson club?

jpkelly

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 07:26:31 AM »
Everything that Mick said.  :)

Offline Keith

• MasterMeister
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 08:51:17 AM »
...... so I may join you one day.  ;)

Forget what I said there -  my order for a Seydel Deluxe Steel (orchestra tuned) has just been placed. :)

It is billed as the Saxony's little sister, so I think I'm a legitimate member here now.  ;D

Mick

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 05:55:41 PM »
...... so I may join you one day.  ;)

Forget what I said there -  my order for a Seydel Deluxe Steel (orchestra tuned) has just been placed. :)

It is billed as the Saxony's little sister, so I think I'm a legitimate member here now.  ;D

Good stuff Keith! I am sure you will like it. Let us know how you go.

Maynard

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 06:46:11 PM »
I definitely will get one . Cash is a problem though . Maybe I should sell a few guitars. Or some diatonics.....  nah never

Maynard

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 06:46:44 PM »
Maybe at Christmas

Offline vcleynes

• Chrome-Minator
  • Newbee
    • The Old Man Harper
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 07:00:37 PM »
I own a Seydel Deluxe C orchestra,  an E and a Saxony G.  Have taken these harmonicas apart and put them back together and am quite familiar with the insides.

Offline Keith

• MasterMeister
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 04:28:59 AM »
Good stuff Keith! I am sure you will like it. Let us know how you go.

Will do - even @ge seems to be interested in them. ;)

Tim Atwell

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 11:24:28 PM »
i have a saxony in G, a great value for the money.  i find Blow 6 (a B) a little odd sounding, though.  anyone else feel that way?

when you take off the mouthpiece, watch out.  there is nothing holding the spring in place.

Offline Danny G

• Happiness is a New Harmonica
  • THE PARTY GUY
  • MonsterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 01:00:59 AM »
I've had a Saxony Orchestra for several years, I play hard and I've played it lots of hours.
I had to have one reed replaced and I still think it's wonderful harmonica. I'm a fan

Offline Giuliano

• Chrome-Minator
  • Newbee
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 01:35:59 AM »
Can the Deluxe Steel be included here too, being positioned by Seydel as the little sister of the Saxony?

Sorry Jessica, but Saxony and Deluxe are two different worlds.
Have 3 Saxonys (one is an Orchestra). Absolute first class stuff, for any kind of music.

Offline Keith

• MasterMeister
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 04:10:59 AM »
Well now, Seydel think they are very similar, it's on their web site, & they should know. :)

Edit: Unless I am mistaken, the only difference is the comb material.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 04:18:25 AM by Keith »

Offline Crawforde

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 07:11:37 AM »
The comb and the mouthpiece are different.
I don't own either, but have played and worked on both.
I actually preferred the new Deluxe Steel over the Saxony.
That new rounded mouthpiece was easy to remove and replace, and the solid machined acrylic comb is nice, and you can get it in blue, brown, or orange to contrast with your wood covers  ;)

Jessica

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 07:21:44 AM »
I think in one world with different landscapes.

From what I read the construction of the Saxony and the Deluxe Steel are different. The Deluxe Steel is said easier to open and clean, which I really like. And the mouthpiece the Saxony and Deluxe originally come with is different. The Deluxe has a rounded mouthpiece, which I also think I will like.
The other thing I read is that they are both excellent made instruments, the best of the Seydel range, very airtight (with the Saxony a fraction better) and having the same steel reeds.

(My little sister and I look and behave different, but we have many characteristics in common, and we are of the best quality ;-) We clearly belong to the same family.)

Offline krishnablue

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 01:16:50 PM »
I have a Saxony orchestra tuned and I absolutely love it.

fgbrault

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 08:55:33 PM »
I have a Saxony Orchestra (Key C) and love it.  Have to admit thought that I have not really been using the 2 extra low notes, so far, but, I am not missing the 2 high notes.  :)  I do intend to try to learn a melody or two that uses the lower notes.

mandrew

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 01:38:20 PM »
Since the advent of the Deluxe steel, I have read a lot of comments that many prefer the acrylic comb of the deluxe. Both are great harps, and compete equally with the Suzuki offerings. Actually, I now give Seydel the edge in the innovation and technical advances in general. Seydel calls the deluxe steel the "little brother" of the Saxony. I don't see it that way. They are both unique with their own personalities, and I see them as equal in their own rights.

Tim Atwell

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 01:24:05 AM »
some simple melodies that go to the low G on the saxony orchestra if you play them in the key of C (they all start on the low G):  red river valley, shenandoah, amazing grace.  poor wayfaring stranger starts on A

one not so simple:  my one and only love.  god bless the child in Eb goes down to the Bb below the C in hole 2.

Mick

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 04:28:00 AM »
I have a Saxony Orchestra (Key C) and love it.  Have to admit thought that I have not really been using the 2 extra low notes, so far, but, I am not missing the 2 high notes.  :)  I do intend to try to learn a melody or two that uses the lower notes.
Its fun to experiment with tunes you know by dropping down an octave to take those holes in.  :)

123dwight

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 05:55:27 AM »
In the short time I've been playing it, the Saxony Orchestra has become my favorite. But, I've already had two stuck reeds. That hasn't happened with my other harmonicas. Is this just bad luck or is the Saxony prone to getting stuck reeds?

The first stuck reed resolved on its own. I fixed the other by removing a very fine hair that was lodged in the reed hole. I think it was undercoat from my dog's fur. He's getting a haircut as soon as the weather improves. I have resolved to vacuum daily...

Anyway, I'm happy with the Saxony, but wonder if it is more susceptible to these problems???

Mick

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 05:52:25 PM »
Hi I havent had the stuck reed problem specifically with the Saxony. Fine hairs get into all chroms. i am guessing your first one that resolved on its own was the same issue, but the hair dislodged itself.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:59:09 PM by Mick »

Offline Keith

• MasterMeister
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 08:14:40 AM »
My Deluxe Steel has finally arrived - I like that it comes in a smaller case than my CX12. ;)

I've only given it a quiet blow to check it out - seems to have a nice tone similar to my Steel diatonics.

Mouthpiece feels a little bit strange at the moment, (having been practicing on my Swan 1040 & CX12 tenor just lately).
A bit more weight to it than my CX12 or Swan, & it's interesting how you can see the depth of the reed chambers through the comb.

So, my first impression - I think I'm going to really like this chromatic. :)

Offline Doug

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »
My Deluxe Steel has finally arrived - I like that it comes in a smaller case than my CX12. ;)

I've only given it a quiet blow to check it out - seems to have a nice tone similar to my Steel diatonics.

Mouthpiece feels a little bit strange at the moment, (having been practicing on my Swan 1040 & CX12 tenor just lately).
A bit more weight to it than my CX12 or Swan, & it's interesting how you can see the depth of the reed chambers through the comb.

So, my first impression - I think I'm going to really like this chromatic. :)
I have the half-moon mouthpiece on my Saxony. The Seydel mouthpiece is a lot smaller than the CX12 and it feels smaller to me than the Suzukis. It didn't take long for me to really like the feel of the Seydel mouthpiece. I'm betting you'll grow to like it. Congrats on the new harmonica.
Every noble work is at first impossible. - Thomas Carlyle

Mick

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 08:48:48 PM »
Congrats Keith. I am sure you will get comfortable with it. Have fun  :)

mandrew

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2017, 08:57:16 AM »
Now you have me excited about this harp too! I like the rounded Suzuki mouthpieces. Is your new harp orchestra tuned?