Author Topic: Slide oil  (Read 4338 times)

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
Re: Slide oil
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2022, 08:49:11 PM »
Yeah, rounded cuts are where the die hits going in. My brother was a tool and die maker. He told me the duller/older the die, the rounder the "in-going" cut. Makes sense. ::) I spoze that's why Doug Tate would hand sand reedplates for hours before filling them up with reeds to make Rennies. The Hohner 270 is still probably the most popular chromatic on the planet. (they made a butt-load of them)  I have about probably thirty Hohner 270s that I bought over the past fifty odd years, and while some 270s always sounded crisp and articulate, others not so much. :P The difference is: new dies vs old dies. The ones made with dies that were ready for replacement weren't as good as the others.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 08:51:51 PM by A.J. Fedor »

Offline Gerundino

• HELPER
  • Baby Button Pusher
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2022, 04:31:01 AM »
I love anything with cocoanut. (I just hate spelling the word :) )

Try the Dutch spelling : kokosnoot. Much easier! 😃
Peter

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2022, 02:08:40 PM »
The spelling is pretty easy, but I'd probably have to come up with a "mental picture" to remember the word. :)

Offline Ray J

• Ray J
  • Chrome-Meister
  • Love this place
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2022, 01:43:20 AM »
Al I do is strip the MP, rinse in a dilute of mouthwash, leave the pieces to dry, rub them up with lint free cloth. Never had a problem.

Ray  8)
Retired now it's all fun

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2022, 02:58:07 AM »
See my post #45. Apparently not everyone reads past posts. And Blowharp is correct. Breaking the edges (iow, taking the razor sharp edges off of slides EDGES) works wonders. Why? beCAUSE the u-channel is a punched part and the inside corners are slightly rounded. If the dies were so close as to make a perfectly square corner, the metal would suffer molecular weakness.
The sharp edges of the slide would like to cut into the rounded insides of the u-channel. Harmonicas allow for this. Ergo..loose enough fit.

Secondly, my post 45 explains why harmonicas can smell strange.

smo-joe

Remember the Hering 64 'Vintage' I think it was called - at Buckeye one year (early on). Brand new, still wrapped in its box.
Picked it up on the last day as the vendor was closing up to leave. By the time I brought it down to try out, he'd left - and when
I opened it up the smell was SO overwhelming it was nauseating. Also the taste - Vile! I kept thinking it must just be me (having
had a big meal), so asked Jason and Bobbie Giordano to tell me if I was nuts or not. Both took one whiff and suggested I return
it to the vendor (the guy who operated under several different company names and used to be Buckeye's only vendor for years?) Everything about its looks was gorgeous, but that odour! I didn't think he'd listen to me if I tried returning it in the mail or even calling him, so I took it home and then tried EVERYTHING suggested by people here to remove the smell. What finally worked was leaving it out of the case under a skylight in a very bright sunny room for weeks. Eventually the smell began to fade and I wiped it down over and over with Rubbing alcohol (after also wrapping it and storing it in a bowl of first rice, then cat litter). It then became a fun instrument, although the mouthpiece was very thin compared to my Super 64's and had a higher and brighter tone than any other. Still play it.
My strong suspicion even then was that it MUST be something sprayed in the hold of ships which permeated the crates where the
instruments were stored.

scotty

Online beads

• CHARTER MEMBER
  • Chrome-Meister
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2022, 01:24:14 PM »
Machinists use cutting oil to keep the tooling from heating up due to friction. Too much heat softens the tool. I had a couple of harps that smelled like that oil (I worked in maintenance many years and we had a machine shop). I assumed I got a harp that came off the line right after the production machines were oiled. Just like Scotty experienced, it took quite a while and several cleanings to make those harps usable. I could be wrong about the smell, but it sure smelled like cutting oil to me.
Onze-Lieve-Vrouw van Troost Bid voor ons.

Offline Danny G

• Happiness is a New Harmonica
  • THE PARTY GUY
  • MonsterMeister
  • Danny G
    • New Harmonica
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2022, 01:43:10 PM »
Scotty
I think the odor that permeated Herring harmonicas was from the insecticide used in the area of the ship where the boxes were
stored. When I received shipments the boxes looked as though they were sprayed with something oily and smelled to high heaven

Offline Wendellfiddler

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
    • Gypsy Wranglers
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2022, 02:50:30 AM »
the accumulation and of slide oil and saliva makes the slide black.

Why black?
I probably should have said more. It looks like dirty oil. It washes off just fine. I suppose it could be the friction of the metal mixing with the oil. This may be one of the slides that I got too aggressive with and scratched off some of the coating when I first learned about deburring a slide. I’m just guessing.

I'm not sure it should be black, unless you play it after eating licorice or something.  Are some of the parts worn down to the metal - any brass parts?  I clean my harps almost constantly because I play a lot and my saliva is sticky.  I don't recall finding black gunk unless it was a old moldy wooden comb?  tell us more about the circumstance that is creating black gunk.

doug tanner
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rollez

Offline Wendellfiddler

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
    • Gypsy Wranglers
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2022, 02:52:33 AM »
Al I do is strip the MP, rinse in a dilute of mouthwash, leave the pieces to dry, rub them up with lint free cloth. Never had a problem.

Ray  8)

then a very thin layer of suzuki slide oil?   Oddly I find that Hohners do not seem to benefit from suzuki slide oil.  Seydels and suzukis do. 

doug tanner
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rollez

Online beads

• CHARTER MEMBER
  • Chrome-Meister
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2022, 07:19:06 PM »

Ray  8)

then a very thin layer of suzuki slide oil?   Oddly I find that Hohners do not seem to benefit from suzuki slide oil.  Seydels and suzukis do. 

doug tanner
My Hohner Discovery works noticeably better with just a drop of Suzuki slide oil. In fact, since I oiled the Discovery slide it has become one of my favorite harps.
Onze-Lieve-Vrouw van Troost Bid voor ons.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2022, 07:51:45 PM »
Scotty
I think the odor that permeated Herring harmonicas was from the insecticide used in the area of the ship where the boxes were
stored. When I received shipments the boxes looked as though they were sprayed with something oily and smelled to high heaven

Somehow I missed this response of yours, Danny. Weird. Anyway - I remember telling Jason and Bobbi (both of whom had tried
out my brand-new Hering at the time and made faces when they smelled that awful odour), that I personally thought that it smelled and somehow also 'tasted like' (although to my knowledge I've never tasted) insecticide, lol -which had permeated the crates the instruments had been transported in (realizing they probably came in the holds of ships). It was SO horrible - I told quite a few people about this - but most pooh-poohed the idea. I'm glad to read your confirmation of what I've suspected all along. It makes sense. Thx!

scotty