Author Topic: Favorite song nobody wants to hear  (Read 260 times)

Offline ejacob4

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Minator
Favorite song nobody wants to hear
« on: September 24, 2022, 07:16:36 PM »
I love “ Começar De Novo.” Song just rips me to wonderful terrible places, and that’s straight. On the other hand, if ya don’t love it, ya just don’t. I’ve played recordings of it done spectacularly well, and got muh.

Still, I work on it, play nearly it or chunks of it, in some dark corner like a junkie shooting up Ivan Lins. Not giving it up, but it makes the number 1 spot on my no hit parade.

Been a little quiet lately, so I’m kicking in. What’cha got?

Best regards,
Ed

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
Re: Favorite song nobody wants to hear
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 07:48:22 PM »
SO many of Peter White's own tunes (Dreamwalk, etc.) - no one else has a clue what they are, so the interest evaporates.
Another is 'Someone to Watch Over Me' - a favourite of mine to play at a moment's notice, but you can practically hear the
groans of those thinking it's old hat.

scotty

Offline SlimHeilpern

• V.I.P
  • Chrome-Meister
    • Slide Man Slim
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 12:38:03 AM »
I love “ Começar De Novo.” Song just rips me to wonderful terrible places, and that’s straight. On the other hand, if ya don’t love it, ya just don’t. I’ve played recordings of it done spectacularly well, and got muh.

Still, I work on it, play nearly it or chunks of it, in some dark corner like a junkie shooting up Ivan Lins. Not giving it up, but it makes the number 1 spot on my no hit parade.

Best regards,
Ed

Wonderful tune, never get tired of it!

- Slim
http://www.slidemanslim.com
slim@slidemanslim.com

Offline Bernie9

• HELPER
  • Chrome-Minator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 04:40:23 AM »

Another is 'Someone to Watch Over Me' - a favourite of mine to play at a moment's notice, but you can practically hear the
groans of those thinking it's old hat.

scotty

For what it's worth, I would like to relate my experience with using old songs in my shows. In the last few years I thought I should modernize my playlists, and I did, somewhat. Even though, I prefer the old standards, I wanted to remain somewhat relevant by bringing in more 60's to 80's top tunes. I found that it is fine to sprinkle in some newer tunes, but over all, my old 20's to 50's songs are the most appreciated. I am speaking of audiences ranging from 50 to 95 years of age.

I had to realize that just because I have played some songs for over 50 years, most could relate to their past or through their parents.  Long live the Great American Standards.

Bernie

Offline Grizzly

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 06:51:50 AM »
Bernie, you got me thinking about the tunes I'm playing on harmonica at Santa's Land USA, where I'm portraying Santa. They're mostly golden oldie Christmas tunes from my youth and earlier, but the kids, and even their parents, grew up with more recent ones. Still, everyone seems to recognize "Rudolf" and "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town." But I wonder about "Chestnuts Roasting" and "O Holy Night," let alone "Winter Wonderland" (still working on that one), etc…

Even so, with a captive audience eating lunch at the picnic tables in front of the concession stand, I'll get some applause, even if it's just the novelty of Santa playing harmonica. :)

Tom
working on my second 10,000!

Offline brorat

• CHARTER MEMBER
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 09:24:13 AM »
Hi Tom,

Just thinking about your post about songs that you play as Santa:

I love "standard" Christmas songs!  Over the last few years I've thrown in a few as I've learned a bit about the chromatic harmonica.  I certainly haven't played them for a wider audience, but I've played them for a few friends, and members of my family.  The family includes multiple generations ... wife, children, grandchildren ranging from 4 years to 17 years.  Maybe they're just being nice, but they sure SEEM to love the old songs!  Of course they all know and like the "novelty" songs like Rudolph, Santa Claus is Coming To Town, etc.  But I throw in "The Christmas Song" (Chestnuts Roasting...), White Christmas, O Holy Night, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Let It Snow, I'll Be Home for Christmas, Winter Wonderland, etc.  I've added some "newer" songs like "Merry Christmas Darling".  Basically, they ALL are familiar with ALL these songs, and they really seem to like them. 

I know that I'm old, and that "the times, they are a'changin", but I truly believe that standards bridge the generations.  My youngest grandkids sing (or hum) along with any of these.  I guess good music is just good music, and those songs stand the test of time.
“Just here to harp on chromatics!”

Offline John Broecker

• Time-traveler (Drummer)
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • 1925 Hohner Sax & JB
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 10:43:17 AM »
Seventy-five years ago, Peg O' My Heart, by Bryan & Fischer (1913),
as performed in 1947 by The Harmonicats, was the #1 hit on the
Hit Parade (USA) for 6 months.

In the All-Time Hits list of the Hit Parade, only White Christmas,
by Irving Berlin, (1940) was/is more popular.

These songs are definitely great tunes, but I won't play them. They've
been played to death. They are favorite songs that I don't want to hear.

Best Regards, Stay Healthy

JB

« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 10:58:18 AM by John Broecker »
"A dirty shirt in a bin with wheat germ for 21 days will produce live mice." -- Belgian chemist, physician; Jean Baptiste van Helmont, 1580-1644.

Offline Grizzly

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 04:35:07 PM »
brorat: My youngest grandkids sing (or hum) along with any of these [carols].

It amazes me (Maybe it shouldn't!) that the parents/grandparents can't carry a tune when they sing along!

Tom
working on my second 10,000!

Offline brorat

• CHARTER MEMBER
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 07:12:48 PM »

brorat: My youngest grandkids sing (or hum) along with any of these [carols].

It amazes me (Maybe it shouldn't!) that the parents/grandparents can't carry a tune when they sing along!

Tom

:D :D :D
“Just here to harp on chromatics!”

Offline Joe Phillips

• CHARTER MEMBER
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2022, 11:33:13 PM »
Turkey in the Straw. No, seriously, The Shadow of Your Smile. I've butchered it for over 50 years and it's worn out its welcome among those who tolerate my playing.

Online Ed McCullough

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2022, 12:39:16 AM »
Joe Phillips:    50 years ago I loved "Shadow of Your Smile", and played it with the music teacher of a school at her faculty meeting.       40 years later I got a chance to put her heart together with mine.

Online Ed McCullough

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Chrome-Meister
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2022, 12:48:14 AM »
ejacob4:
 I like your taste. What else do you have up your sleeve?   Come now, spill your list.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2022, 02:09:22 AM »

Best regards,
Ed

I've just tracked down this particular video with Ivan and Leo Amuedo on guitar. I've watched several other versions. but this one, pretty much stripped down to just his voice, the keyboard and guitar is - to me, so lovely it even surpasses Toots' version on his Brasilia project, and I love Toots.  Fwiw, if you played it in any way similarly to how it sounds here, I'd for
sure listen - and want to hear it again. :)

scotty
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 02:12:49 AM by Scotty »