Author Topic: 6. What Professional (or other) was/is your influence?  (Read 7369 times)

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
6. What Professional (or other) was/is your influence?
« on: November 09, 2011, 10:48:17 PM »
Although there is a chance it might not have been even a Chromatic player, what player (professional or otherwise - alive or dead) was/is your influence. Again, keep your answer short, and no discussion.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:16:44 AM by A.J.Fedor »

Offline Grizzly

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
Re: What Professional (or other) was/is your influence?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:26:01 PM »
I'd have to say Robert Bonfiglio for starters. He can do it all.

Tom
working on my second 10,000!

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 11:49:16 PM »
Anyone that plays better than I do (and that I like to listen to) is a positive influence for me.
This probably sounds weird, but sometimes I'd rather just listen to myself :-\

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 12:21:22 AM »
I'm letting Bill Barrett influence me . . .
But truthfully, I just see the horn as an instrument, there was no one inspiring me to play chromatic.
I got good at diatonic, started retuning, and wound up with a slide harmonica.

Bluesy

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 10:05:10 AM »
In order not to become too derivative, I think it's important to listen to top players of instruments other than chromatic harmonica. For that reason I try to take my cues from Desmond, Getz, Baker, Bill Evans, Joe Pass, Stitt, Cannonball, etc. Not that I could ever hope to duplicate on harmonica what they play on their instruments, but just to have their sound in my head. My brother's piano sound comes through a lot now that he's no longer with us. (What am I talking about? It did while he was alive!)
I find that if I listen to Toots too much, his figures are all I can hear in my mind when I'm working on a solo.
Actually too, I love the sweet and very French approach of Paul Lassey, and wish he would record more American ballads and bossa nova things. I love his "Luiza".
And I do love Hendrik Meurkens and listen to anything I can by him. I particularly like that he doesn't make a big production out of soloing, but just quietly blows the notes with a jazz feel - and great skill, I might add. He seems always to play with great trios.

Tom/

Offline McManus

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 01:52:16 PM »
It seems everyone I listen to is better than me; but day in day out my favorite is Bonfiglio.
"Music is the medicine of the mind." John Logan

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 03:21:30 PM »
I think it's important to play within your ability; don't try to play like anyone else.
Let the music play!

Offline robertpcoble

• Chrome-Minator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 04:15:06 PM »
If there is one player that I would love to sound like, it would be Smokey Joe Leone, SlideMeister. I love his playing on both chromatic and diatonic, and I love to listen to him play jazz. Smokey Joe was in attendance at one of the Virginia Harmonica Fests, when I gave my first seminar. Afterwards, he gave me some much needed encouragement, for which I remain indebted. I know I can't carry his harmonica case, but he inspires me to continue practicing and playing.

Crazy Bob

Offline Ingo

• Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 04:52:40 PM »
If there is one player that I would love to sound like, it would be Smokey Joe Leone, SlideMeister. I love his playing on both chromatic and diatonic, and I love to listen to him play jazz. Smokey Joe was in attendance at one of the Virginia Harmonica Fests, when I gave my first seminar. Afterwards, he gave me some much needed encouragement, for which I remain indebted. I know I can't carry his harmonica case, but he inspires me to continue practicing and playing.

Crazy Bob

I carry smokey Joe's case all the time...but keeps dropping it heheh

Today he would be a harmonica player I could be influenced by since I like and admire him as a player and as a person, but go back to the beginning it was a diiferent istrument that encoraged me, namely the accordion.Specifically the Dutch group "The Three Jacksons" and then it was 'The Hotcha Trio"...a superb harmonica trio; since then having meet sooo many harmonica players it's hard to pick out anyone in particular, but I think I have learned a bit from everyone...and I'm still learning!

With the internet and YouTube, it's mindbogling how many players there are. When I see the Caption: "The worlds Greatest Harmonica Player", I reach for the barfbag and seethe at the stupidity when the player , I'm using the term losely, is lightyears away from being even a harmonica player. Oh well, makes you appreciate the good ones. Oh yeah, it just crystalized in my brain. I want to be like Chris Bauer when I grow up. When I told him, he said that HE never grew up, so now I don't know hehehe

Ingo

Ingo
Happiness is a warm harp

frozenpaw

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 02:13:40 PM »
Mother, classical pianist

Philos

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 08:29:05 PM »
Without a doubt... Michal Adler's solo work and her playing with The Adler Trio.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »
Phil Caltabellotta, Smokey Joe Leone and AJFedor. I'd love to be able to play MY music but with the skills abilities and tone of a blend of all three of them. They're my chromatic 'heroes'. :)

Elizabeth (a/k/a Scotty)

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
Re: 6. What Professional (or other) was/is your influence?
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 12:26:40 AM »
Meet Danny Wilson!
With my old buddy Danny Welton on harmonica!
"Lonesome Man Blues"

Offline Gary Richardson

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 06:51:55 PM »
Toots Thielemans and Larry Adler, but this was before I used the internet.  Today with the internet there is a whole world of players that inspire me and hopefully will influence me as well.

Gary
Gary Richardson

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 12:39:27 AM »