Author Topic: 8. Other instruments' influence  (Read 7046 times)

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
8. Other instruments' influence
« on: November 19, 2011, 09:39:13 PM »
If you play more than one instrument, what are they and which is your favorite?
(no discussion)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:18:05 AM by A.J.Fedor »

Offline Grizzly

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • aka Tom
    • Transcriptions
Re: Other instruments' influence
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »
Several have been favorites over the years. Flute is and will remain number one, until arthritis catches up to my hands. Then (from longest ago until now): baritone uke; autoharp, fretted dulcimer (ran a festival for 23 years, performed solo on both); penny whistle. Recorders fit in there somewhere, off and on.

Flute has had the greatest influence on my harmonica playing.

Tom
working on my second 10,000!

Offline Gnarly He Man

• AKA Gary
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Chroma means color
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 12:19:41 AM »
I am primarily a guitarist--electric, acoustic and synth (I own a StarrLabs Ztar), also play mandolin, ukelele, electric bass guitar and keyboards.
I owned a banjo for many years and can play it if you really need me to  :D
Then there is the harmonica . . .
Oh, and I am a singer--and can play drums if I practice. Played drums in 3rd grade . . .
Got a tin whistle and also could play lines given a rehearsal.
What do I like best? Vocal harmony  :o

Bluesy

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:29:38 AM »
Oh boy!
When I was a kid I learned jazz guitar with my brother who had a friend - Tal Farlow. I was just a dumbass kid. Little did I know whom I was learning from! Probably the most legendary guitarist in Jazz! Then when I was about 12, my parents thought I should take clarinet lessons. Great! Rented a plastic clarinet and at the instruction of a store teacher blew the first of a hundred million notes -  open G.
A clarinet has a certain smell - a faint odor of wood, bore oil, and cork grease that gets into your brain and stays there for life. You also get a callous on the side of your right thumb from the thumb "rest" (in quotes because it's anything but. Clarinets are heavy.)
After I got married I met Lee Konitz. Somehow we became good friends, and I decided to add an alto sax to my menagerie. so I bought an old Selmer Mark VI on 48th Street up the stairs, which has now become valuable. My teacher complained that it was better than his!
Then of course, any woodwind player has to play flute. I studied with Harold Bennett, the 1st flutist of the Metropolitan Opera orchestra, and he sold me his own Muramatsu flute - silver, custom made, B foot. It had the darkest sound I had ever heard from a flute. I loved it so much I continued to this day playing classical music - mostly chamber music - all the baroque and pre-romantic cats. You name 'em, I played them.
All this while I was still playing jazz guitar with my Fender Princeton amp, which was then the trade standard. Six tubes, reverb, 12" speaker. Still have it and use it.
Then I lent my Guild guitar to a pal who had his stolen and was playing gigs and needed a guitar fast. One night his girl bass player-cum-vocalist got drunk, knocked it off the stand and stepped through it with high heels. End of Guild. He didn't replace it until years later when he became one of the Four Freshmen and started to get rich. (He told me that the first night with the Freshmen he made more $$ than he'd made the entire previous year!)
One night I went to see the Freshmen at the Rainbow room in NYC and in between shows Bill took me back to the dressing room and gave me a nice Gibson ES 125. I went home from Rockefeller Center with a new jazz guitar better than my old one.
One day after Stan Getz's uncle came in to see me and started telling me stories about his nephew (when Getz was a kid in the Bronx and the neighbors complained about his loud playing, his mother would say, "Play louder, Stanley!") I decided that I had to have a tenor sax. I bought an old Selmer Tenor - what we called a "Balanced Action Selmer" . . . from Manny, at the old upstairs shop on 48th Street again. I didn't know it but they were to become the most cherished horns in the business. Sax men used to telephone me to try to buy it.

So what are my other instruments and which do I like best? I couldn't begin to say. I love, cherish, and play all of them! But none better than my harmonica!

Tom C/Bluesy
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 12:42:36 AM by Bluesy »

Offline jimgrant

• Chrome-Tributor
  • Old is a state of mind
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 01:43:26 PM »
I took 7 years of piano lessons from age 5 to 12. Enjoyed them but I guess hormones took control at 12 so I quit. Still play keyboard for my own amusement and often use it to determine what key I should use to sing a particular song. Piano has always been the largest influence in my harmonica playing. I sometimes visualize piano keys during any kind of complex number.

I also play the Marxophone; a zither-based instrument from the early '20s. It's good for simple melodies and especially Christmas songs so I'll drag it out today. My sister-in-law wants me to bring it to a meeting of her church group tomorrow evening.

Many years ago, when I was still working and my mother was living in Toronto, she would ask me to bring the Marxophone with me when I had business in the "Big Smoke". One time she requested that I make some time to play for a "few" of her friends at the Baptist-owned apartment complex she lived in. I was met at the door, hugged, and ushered into a room where about 150 Baptists wanted to hear hymns. Fortunately I had attended Sunday school for many years and played requests for an hour and a half. Mom was so proud.

Offline McManus

• Chrome-Meister
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 09:13:09 PM »
My 10 hole diatonic, led to a the 12 hole Marine Band solo tuned harmonica; led to the chromatic.   Eureka!  All of the notes are there....now I must learn to be able to find them.
"Music is the medicine of the mind." John Logan

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 09:51:27 PM »
We had a player piano as a kid but prior to the harmonica, I can't even recall ever hitting a key. At 6 or seven, I tried a harmonica and I was a "dead man" (kid) Kinda like the day I met my Barbara (when I was fourteen) I was toast! Some stuff just never goes away. ;D

Through the years I picked up guitar, and a couple others that I still play but the Chromatic has and will always be my favorite

Offline grstatdoc

• Statistician - Musician
  • V.I.P
  • Chrome-Tributor
  • Classicist on a very long peninsula
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 11:42:23 PM »
Started on piano and cello when I was 9...began tuba in high school in 1970 and harmonica the following summer...moved from diatonic to chromatic in the fall.
I still play tuba, and piano occasionally for my amusement and the chromatic. Piano had the biggest influence in my exploring the classical vein, with tuba opening up the English military band music.
Mike Dean
Harmonica and tuba: tough to make ends "meet"

Offline smojoe

• HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • virgo
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 01:23:05 AM »

Following order of appearance.
1...Ocarina
2...Diatonic (lasted all of 13 days)
3...Clarinet
4...Chromatic
2(a) Diatonic again
5...Acoustic guitar
6...Trumpet
7...Saxs (Bb)
8...Accordion
9...Flute (home made)

Favorite? Zither, violin

smo-joe

Gustavo Casado

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 06:33:08 AM »
Y have been taken guitar lessons when I was young (10 to 14 years old). Ocasionally I play guitar still, but my preference is the chromatic harmonica (also tremoloes harps). 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:35:30 AM by Gustavo Casado »

Offline John Broecker

• (Time-traveller)
  • HELPER
  • MonsterMeister
  • Vintage 2K? Swan 1456 & JB
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 11:44:09 AM »
Hello, A.J. and the SlideMeisters.

I've been off-line since Nov.17th, just returning today.

This minute, my favorite instrument is the octave bass harmonica or 48 chord harmonica, but that changes daily. I play, or have played in the past, these instruments:

all symphonic strings, all symphonic winds, all symphonic percussion including piano, all other percussion and keyboard instruments, all harmonica types except the Hohner Harmonetta, an antique harmonica.

Best Regards

John Broecker

"Elton John is right up there with David Bowie."--Rick Harrison, "Pawn Stars" TV show, USA. Rick is discussing collectibles.

Offline draak13

• Saxman
  • Chrome-Tributor
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 06:01:27 PM »
I have and play one each, clarinet, alto sax.
I have and play Guitar, ( one each, electric, acoustic and classical )
I have and play 4 Ukuleles.
2 Diatonic harmonicas and 6 chromatics, always have a chromatic with me.
I also have and play Keyboard but not often.
As to my favorite, (sorry about this ) the stringed instruments. The Guitar first followed very closely by the ukulele but like I said, I am never without a Chromatic.  8)
In the house but not played. Natve American flutes. 7 each, 3 Penny whistles, one Tenor recorder, 0ne hammered dulcimer and one Mountain Dulcimer and a piano.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 04:44:02 AM by draak13 »
Favorite instrument-Tenor sax and clarinet but a harmonica is always within reach.

Offline Scotty

• PRESIDENT'S CLUB
  • MonsterMeister
  • Elizabeth (Scotty)
    • Myspace.com/elizabethgs
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 01:09:32 AM »
Currently play keyboards, my new Hammond 44 Melodion and am occasionally dabbling here and there on a Sax, clarinet and flute - all bought in the last 2 years.

As a child I played Violin in school and guitar at home. Wasn't all that interested (or good) on either. Played a Wurlitzer organ for some years but far prefer piano and keyboards. My preference today is a tossup between keyboards and a chromatic, although the Melodion is a LOT of fun - very much enjoyed dueting with Danny G on an impromptu number at the recent GSHC festival. Am still figuring out the breathing for the 44 Key Melodion (considerably different than a chromatic - all blow, which has to be coordinated with the phrasing/ key playing). I don't 'think piano' when I play chromatics so it doesn't  influence my harmonica playing, but I do still hear the song in my head when I play either instrument so close my eyes with both and can get lost in another dimension.

Elizabeth (a/k/a Scotty)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:24:32 AM by A.J.Fedor »

Offline SlideMeister

• Owner/Administrator
  • MonsterMeister
  • A.J. Fedor ><((((º>
    • A.J.'s mini-site
Re: 8. Other instruments' influence
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 12:37:37 AM »